RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: DeanO in the P-I

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
      I should have clarified what I meant by "best":
      not best outcome (1979 clearly beats both 1978 and 1996 in
      that regard), nor most wins.

      What I meant was "most incredible", "most enjoyable",
      "most memorable" ... along those lines.

      1978 beats both 1979 and 1996 because the Sonics literally
      came out of nowhere to make it all the way to Game 7 of
      the Finals.

      By 1996, the Sonics were a regular 60-game winner. In 1979,
      they were a repeat finalist; everyone knew they were good.

      But in 1978, the Sonics were coming off a chaotic, mediocre
      season (which was both a cause and an effect of Bill Russell's
      resignation), and they started the season a miserable 5-17.
      A mediocre team fraying into disarry.

      Lenny Wilkens stepped in as head coach (after Bob Hopkins
      was fired), replaced almost the entire starting lineup
      (Slick Watts, Fred Brown, Paul Silas, Bruce Seals) with
      a cast of then unknowns (Gus Williams, Dennis Johnson,
      John Johnson, rookie Jack Sikma) and the Sonics went on
      to win 70% of their remaining games and make it all the
      way to the Finals, the first time a Seattle major pro
      sports team had ever advanced so far (unless you count
      the 1977 Sounders making it to the Soccer Bowl as a major
      pro team).

      The word "Cinderella team" doesn't even begin to describe
      that 1978 Sonics squad. Has there ever been such a sharp
      mid-season turnaround in NBA history?

      That's what makes the 1978 season "best", better by far
      than 1996 or even 1979, not in terms of outcome, but in
      terms of a team exceeding expectations, and also making
      a historic (by Seattle standards) achievement by making
      it to the Finals.

      This 2005 Sonics team did not have the burden of a 5-17
      start, just an 0-1 shellacking by the Clippers (almost
      as embarassing). But pre-season, they probably had
      even lower expectations than the 1978 team did in
      pre-season, so if they do make it to the Finals, with
      an excellent won-loss record, they'll have matched
      the 1978 team, IMO, in terms of exceeding expectations.