2002 All-Star Game selections

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
      I think both the fans and coaches did a pretty decent job of picking
      the allstar teams this year, unlike the last couple of years.

      Here are my ratings by position, and a * to indicate all-star
      selection:

      WEST

      Center
      48.2 Shaq *
      31.3 Lafrentz
      29.0 Robinson
      28.4 Divac

      The west did right to have only 1 center, since the 2nd best player
      in the world (Duncan) can also play there.

      Power Forward
      45.6 Duncan *
      42.8 Webber *
      39.7 Nowitzki *
      39.3 Malone *
      38.2 Brand
      33.5 Wallace

      Malone is somewhat of a surprise, since fans hate him, and he'll only
      play a minute. And it's a shame Brand isn't on the team, again.

      Small Forward
      41.4 Garnett *
      34.7 Marshall
      33.5 Marion
      33.0 Stojakovich *
      29.0 R Lewis

      Peja plays for a better team, plays more minutes, and is known to
      have "carried" the Kings in Webber's absence.

      Shooting Guard
      41.7 Kobe *
      31.2 Wells
      29.9 Szczerbiak *
      29.3 B Barry
      27.3 Finley

      I guess the myth that the Blazers are a "team of allstars" is
      officially dead. Again, Szczerb has more minutes for a better team.

      Point Guard
      37.4 Payton *
      36.0 Francis *
      33.5 Nash *
      33.1 Van Exel
      33.0 Stockton

      Right on. Francis as the fans' choice reflects the relative youth of
      the voters. And, Gary has come on strong after a sluggish start.

      EAST

      Center
      34.4 Mourning *
      34.4 O'Neal *
      32.4 Campbell
      30.5 B Miller
      29.1 Mutombo *

      Elden only plays 30 minutes, Miller plays for a crap team, and Deke
      dominated in last year's game. But he isn't really having a good
      year (for him).

      Power Forward
      34.1 Walker *
      32.1 Sharif *
      29.7 Van Horn
      29.6 Clark
      28.9 Wallace

      These 2 aren't having good seasons, but make the team finally. OK by
      me.

      Small Forward
      39.0 Pierce *
      34.2 G Robinson
      31.6 Artest
      30.3 Williamson

      Can we say "weak position"?

      Shooting Guard
      39.0 McGrady *
      38.0 Jordan *
      37.7 Iverson *
      37.0 Stackhouse
      36.9 Carter *
      35.2 Allen *
      31.9 E Jones

      Stack is a glaring omission at a ridiculously strong position,
      equivalent to Brand in the West. Yet most of these guys can play SF.

      Point Guard
      36.7 A Miller
      35.4 Cassell
      33.4 B Davis
      33.1 Kidd *
      29.1 McKie

      Kidd has turned the Nets around; Cassell gets shafted once again, but
      since he isn't as good as Andre, and you can't have players from bad
      teams . . . .

      Mike Goodman
    • dlirag
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
        > I think both the fans and coaches did a pretty decent job of
        picking
        > the allstar teams this year, unlike the last couple of years.
        >
        > Point Guard
        > 36.7 A Miller
        > 35.4 Cassell
        > 33.4 B Davis
        > 33.1 Kidd *
        > 29.1 McKie
        >
        > Kidd has turned the Nets around; Cassell gets shafted once again,
        but
        > since he isn't as good as Andre, and you can't have players from
        bad
        > teams . . . .
        >

        > Mike Goodman

        Yeah, the selections look solid this season. Better luck for Andre
        Miller next year; there was too much competition for him this time.