Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: charges taken?

  • Gabe Farkas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
      I really have a tough time believing that the Nuggets
      track it but no one else does...

      --- thedawgsareout <kpelton08@...> wrote:

      > > I think the Philly stats guy tracks and reports
      > some of those
      > > stats in the annual team book.
      >
      > I assume you're referring to the _Harvey Pollack NBA
      > Statistical
      > Yearbook_? In that case, I don't think he does. Most
      > of Pollack's
      > stuff comes from detailed play-by-plays, which still
      > don't list
      > drawn charges. But I don't remember everything
      > that's in there;
      > there's a lot.
      >
      > > I also feel like the Nugs had a page listing their
      > personal charge
      > > stats two years ago but it is sort of team by team
      > hit and miss.
      >
      > http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/notes.pdf
      >
      > Note that Carmelo Anthony is still looking to draw
      > his first charge
      > this season (c'mon Michael Cooper!).
      >
      > I'll throw another vote towards Derek Fisher, though
      > I tend to
      > regard the ability to draw charges as a necessary
      > evil and not so
      > much a "skill".
      >
      > Desmond Mason is another strong candidate who I
      > don't recall being
      > mentioned.

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • thedawgsareout
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
        > I really have a tough time believing that the Nuggets
        > track it but no one else does...

        What teams track and what they give to the media are two very
        different things.
      • rbellotti@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
          Some teams track this stat and some do not. One reason I've heard from those who do not is that there aren't enough charges taken to warrant keeping track of it.

          Not a bad point; my guess is there are 2 to 3 charges taken per game per team.

          And the previous responder is correct: some statistical information is not released by teams because (they believe) it gives them a competitive advantage over other teams and player agents.

          > I really have a tough time believing that the Nuggets
          > track it but no one else does...

          What teams track and what they give to the media are two very
          different things.

        • McKibbin, Stuart
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            My vote would go to someone on the Utah Jazz. They led the league in
            offensive fouls drawn by a good margin last year; according to 82games they
            drew 287 and I think the next best was Milwaukee with 208, so the odds would
            favor one of the Jazz players. Fisher still may be the one, but he gets the
            notoriety because all his games seem like they were on national TV.

            Best Wishes,
            Stuart

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
              From what I've gathered the Nuggets are especially manic about
              charges, it was a pet thing of Bzdelik's. Not sure if Coop will keep
              it up or not.

              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                Actually, I think a lot of those were illegal screens, push-offs and
                the like rather than charges. The Jazz play human pinball and clutch
                and grab all the time, which tends to produce massive foul totals on
                both sides.

                --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "McKibbin, Stuart"