Re: charges taken?

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
      I think the Philly stats guy tracks and reports some of those stats
      in the annual team book. I also feel like the Nugs had a page listing
      their personal charge stats two years ago but it is sort of team by
      team hit and miss.

      If you are talking per game played, I like Jason Kidd.

      <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

      > I'll put my money on Derek Fisher. In addition to those two, I
      would
      > expect Shane Battier, Joe Smith, Jason Collins and Kirk Hinrich to
      be
      > up there.
      >

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, igor eduardo küpfer
      > <edkupfer@r...> wrote:
      > > Gabe Farkas wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone have any info or records of charges taken,
      > > > in any form?
      > > >
      > > > Either composite (total for the year, per game, etc),
      > > > or individual would be great!
      > > >
      > > > You can't really find it in box scores, but it's
      > > > something that I want to look into more.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > I'd like to see that too. I don't think those numbers exist on
      the
      > web, but
      > > I'm going to hazard a guess that Mo Peterson has led the league
      > over the
      > > last 2 or 3 years.
      > >
      > > --
      > > ed
    • Gary Collard
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
        APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Message: 3
        > Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:30:42 -0500
        > From: igor eduardo küpfer <edkupfer@...>
        > Subject: Re: charges taken?
        >
        > Gabe Farkas wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Does anyone have any info or records of charges taken,
        > > in any form?
        > >
        > > Either composite (total for the year, per game, etc),
        > > or individual would be great!
        > >
        > > You can't really find it in box scores, but it's
        > > something that I want to look into more.
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        >
        > I'd like to see that too. I don't think those numbers exist on the web, but
        > I'm going to hazard a guess that Mo Peterson has led the league over the
        > last 2 or 3 years.

        I'll put in a guess for Derek Fisher, especially on a per-minute basis. He
        may be the best I have ever seen at doing it, I suppose due to great
        footwork and being fearless. Unfortunately for him, his overall defensive
        rep suffers somewhat from what it should be because he was the frequent
        victim of Shaq's failure to show on the screen roll, forcing the guard to
        go under the screen and leaving countless open jumpers for the lucky
        shooter.

        --
        Gary Collard
        SABR-L Moderator

        "All things considered, we're happy to be entering a new year, which,
        according to our calculations, will be 2005 (although the exit polls
        say it will be 1997)." -- Dave Barry
      • thedawgsareout
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2005
          > I think the Philly stats guy tracks and reports some of those
          > stats in the annual team book.

          I assume you're referring to the _Harvey Pollack NBA Statistical
          Yearbook_? In that case, I don't think he does. Most of Pollack's
          stuff comes from detailed play-by-plays, which still don't list
          drawn charges. But I don't remember everything that's in there;
          there's a lot.

          > I also feel like the Nugs had a page listing their personal charge
          > stats two years ago but it is sort of team by team hit and miss.

          http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/notes.pdf

          Note that Carmelo Anthony is still looking to draw his first charge
          this season (c'mon Michael Cooper!).

          I'll throw another vote towards Derek Fisher, though I tend to
          regard the ability to draw charges as a necessary evil and not so
          much a "skill".

          Desmond Mason is another strong candidate who I don't recall being
          mentioned.
        • Gabe Farkas
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
            I really have a tough time believing that the Nuggets
            track it but no one else does...

            --- thedawgsareout <kpelton08@...> wrote:

            > > I think the Philly stats guy tracks and reports
            > some of those
            > > stats in the annual team book.
            >
            > I assume you're referring to the _Harvey Pollack NBA
            > Statistical
            > Yearbook_? In that case, I don't think he does. Most
            > of Pollack's
            > stuff comes from detailed play-by-plays, which still
            > don't list
            > drawn charges. But I don't remember everything
            > that's in there;
            > there's a lot.
            >
            > > I also feel like the Nugs had a page listing their
            > personal charge
            > > stats two years ago but it is sort of team by team
            > hit and miss.
            >
            > http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/notes.pdf
            >
            > Note that Carmelo Anthony is still looking to draw
            > his first charge
            > this season (c'mon Michael Cooper!).
            >
            > I'll throw another vote towards Derek Fisher, though
            > I tend to
            > regard the ability to draw charges as a necessary
            > evil and not so
            > much a "skill".
            >
            > Desmond Mason is another strong candidate who I
            > don't recall being
            > mentioned.

            http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
          • thedawgsareout
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
              > I really have a tough time believing that the Nuggets
              > track it but no one else does...

              What teams track and what they give to the media are two very
              different things.
            • rbellotti@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                Some teams track this stat and some do not. One reason I've heard from those who do not is that there aren't enough charges taken to warrant keeping track of it.

                Not a bad point; my guess is there are 2 to 3 charges taken per game per team.

                And the previous responder is correct: some statistical information is not released by teams because (they believe) it gives them a competitive advantage over other teams and player agents.

                > I really have a tough time believing that the Nuggets
                > track it but no one else does...

                What teams track and what they give to the media are two very
                different things.

              • McKibbin, Stuart
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                  My vote would go to someone on the Utah Jazz. They led the league in
                  offensive fouls drawn by a good margin last year; according to 82games they
                  drew 287 and I think the next best was Milwaukee with 208, so the odds would
                  favor one of the Jazz players. Fisher still may be the one, but he gets the
                  notoriety because all his games seem like they were on national TV.

                  Best Wishes,
                  Stuart

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                    From what I've gathered the Nuggets are especially manic about
                    charges, it was a pet thing of Bzdelik's. Not sure if Coop will keep
                    it up or not.

                    --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2005
                      Actually, I think a lot of those were illegal screens, push-offs and
                      the like rather than charges. The Jazz play human pinball and clutch
                      and grab all the time, which tends to produce massive foul totals on
                      both sides.

                      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "McKibbin, Stuart"