Re: self-promoting

  • wizardskev
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
      Interesting stuff, and a lot of interesting stuff throughout the site.
      I liked the piece in the archives about the value of a 2nd round pick.

      Forgive me if you've already explained, but what's a "T rate"? How is
      it calculated? What does the efficiency % measure?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wizardskev" <kevinbroom@r...>
        wrote:

        > Interesting stuff, and a lot of interesting stuff throughout the
        site.
        > I liked the piece in the archives about the value of a 2nd round
        pick.

        Harlan does the writing analysis. He just lets me put up stats.

        > Forgive me if you've already explained, but what's a "T rate"? How
        is
        > it calculated? What does the efficiency % measure?

        "Eff%" is my way of avoiding actually naming this stat. It can be
        pronounced "effective %", "scoring efficiency" , or whatever. This
        is just baskets (or equivalent) per attempt: Eff% = Pts/(FGA*2 +
        FTA*.9)

        Having been pressed to name my overall ranking number, I also
        sidestepped this one. Total Rate is a default name for a weighted
        total of other stats. The weights I've used the last couple of
        seasons are:

        Sco 1.0
        Reb 1.0
        Ast 1.333
        PF -0.25
        Stl 1.5
        TO -1.25
        Blk 1.5

        A player's scoring rate is multiplied by a ratio of his Eff% divided
        by an arbitrary average. Pts, Reb, and Ast are all scaled to the
        relative abundance of these quantities in the teams' games.