self-promoting

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
      Here's an online look at my latest rankings:

      http://hoopsanalyst.com/msg6.htm

      (Comments are more than welcome.)

      Thanks to "harlanzo"
    • wizardskev
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
        Interesting stuff, and a lot of interesting stuff throughout the site.
        I liked the piece in the archives about the value of a 2nd round pick.

        Forgive me if you've already explained, but what's a "T rate"? How is
        it calculated? What does the efficiency % measure?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wizardskev" <kevinbroom@r...>
          wrote:

          > Interesting stuff, and a lot of interesting stuff throughout the
          site.
          > I liked the piece in the archives about the value of a 2nd round
          pick.

          Harlan does the writing analysis. He just lets me put up stats.

          > Forgive me if you've already explained, but what's a "T rate"? How
          is
          > it calculated? What does the efficiency % measure?

          "Eff%" is my way of avoiding actually naming this stat. It can be
          pronounced "effective %", "scoring efficiency" , or whatever. This
          is just baskets (or equivalent) per attempt: Eff% = Pts/(FGA*2 +
          FTA*.9)

          Having been pressed to name my overall ranking number, I also
          sidestepped this one. Total Rate is a default name for a weighted
          total of other stats. The weights I've used the last couple of
          seasons are:

          Sco 1.0
          Reb 1.0
          Ast 1.333
          PF -0.25
          Stl 1.5
          TO -1.25
          Blk 1.5

          A player's scoring rate is multiplied by a ratio of his Eff% divided
          by an arbitrary average. Pts, Reb, and Ast are all scaled to the
          relative abundance of these quantities in the teams' games.