Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Strength Of Schedule - Antoine Walker

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29 1:13 PM
      Another, very tricky, part of the equation is that some guys will go from being low
      efficiency on a bad team to high efficiency, albeit with much fewer shots, on a good team.
      Michael Finley's career is a good example of that, and to an extent so is Hoiberg. (While
      we're on the topic, my #s show Hoiberg to be more valuable than Walker this year -- PER
      of 17.73 for the Mayor vs. 15.68 for Walker-- though it's easily a career-best for Hoiberg).

      With all this, don't get me wrong. There is definitely a value to creating shots, even if you aren't efficient. I went through that pretty thoroughly in Basketball on Paper. But blindly saying that any player who puts up a lot of shots is a good player is really making a mistake. It takes a knowledge of how players fit together -- a coaching or GM decision -- to see how to make a good team from _different_ parts. Feel free to continue to rank Hoiberg as a "bad"
      player. Feel free to continue to rank Antoine Walker as a "good" player. To me, it's about building a "good team" and I look for ways that players can be parts of that "good team", regardless of what some overall value measure says by finding what they are efficient at.
      i am amazed at all the talk i hear/see on the news and internet about antoine walker possibly going to either boston or new york or anywhere else for that matter. walker is as bad now as he's ever been. some people look at his 20 pts/g, 9 reb/g, and 3 ast/g and say he's simply the best player on a bad team, but in reality he is one of the key reasons if not the key reason the hawks are so bad now. putting up those numbers in 41 min/g may sound impressive, but a player would be hard-pressed to do it more inefficiently than walker does it...

      his scoring FG% (taking into account 2pters, 3pters, and FTs) is over 4% lower than the league average, he turns the ball over on 8% of his touches, and he handles the ball per minute as much as the team's starting PG (k.anderson). if there was ever a situation calling out for a veteran on a bad team to be replaced by a younger talent or rookie (any young talent in this case) this is it...

      bob chaikin