Re: Points from the bench...

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Xeifrank" <xeifrank@y...>
      > My question is, how important is it in having your bench outscore
      the
      > opponents bench players? And do stats show it any more important
      than
      > having your starters outscore the other teams starters.

      Perusing last night's box scores, this jumped out at me:

      The Knicks' bench outscored the Mavs' bench 49-36. But Dallas won
      by 29 pts.

      NY starters went 13-53 from the floor (.253).
    • sultanoswat@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
        > Perusing last night's box scores, this jumped out at me:
        >
        > The Knicks' bench outscored the Mavs' bench 49-36. But Dallas won
        > by 29 pts.
        >
        > NY starters went 13-53 from the floor (.253).

        http://www.knickerblogger.net/2004/12/dallas-123-new-york-94.htm

        In either case Nowitzki had no problems scoring, as he had 23 points
        by halftime. All of those were while Kurt Thomas was on the court,
        but he wasn't the only New Yorker playing matador defense. Finley
        lit up the boys in orange & blue for 17 first half scores, and
        Howard poured in another 14. That's 54 points from the Mavs new-not-
        so-big-three, by halftime.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2004
          the problem with "bench points" is that we're given no context --
          i.e., how many minutes the bench players have been on the court. In a
          typical Phoenix game, for instance, the bench will barely score. But
          that's partly because the starters combine for over 200 minutes. So
          on a per-minute basis, they may not be doing that badly.