Re: Would it make sense to move APBR Analysis to a more user-friendly forum?

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
      And I'll say that I'm in favor of a move in principle. My lack of
      time these days (which will probably get worse into the future,
      whether or not the Sonics continue to win at their current rate) will
      keep me from doing much to maintain/moderate the site. My
      understanding is that there are two options for moving the site and
      that Dan is one of two people considering those options. I just can't
      spend much brainpower on it these days.

      It looks like I'll be doing a book signing in Seattle over the
      holidays. Date to be determined. The paperback is out with Bill
      James' endorsement on it. Yay!

      And there should be an espn piece and a Seattle PI piece sometime soon
      on some of what I'm doing for the Sonics, though not a lot of the secrets.

      Consultant to the Seattle Supersonics
      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      "Excellent writing. There are a lot of math guys who just rush from
      the numbers to the conclusion. . .they'll tell you that Shaq is a real
      good player but his team would win a couple more games a year if he
      could hit a free throw. Dean is more than that; he's really
      struggling to understand the actual problem, rather than the
      statistical after-image of it. I learn a lot by reading him." Bill
      James, author Baseball Abstract

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "dan_t_rosenbaum"
      <rosenbaum@u...> wrote:

      > I have mentioned this issue to DeanO in the past, but I was
      > wondering if there would be any interest in moving to this forum to
      > another discussion board.
      >
      > Some benefits of such a move would be (a) the ability to edit posts,
      > (b) easier to use formatting options, such as bolding or the use of
      > color, (c) a better search function, (d) easier navigation between
      > or within threads, and (e) new blood for APBR Analysis.
      >
      > Personally, I think it is very difficult in these Yahoo forums to
      > maintain more than a thread or two for any considerable amount of
      > time. I think it discourages discussion and limits how much we can
      > all benefit from this forum. Also, I find the posts hard to read,
      > which I think also discourages discussion. And a better search
      > function would help people from having to make the same points over
      > and over and over again.
      >
      > But there would be costs to such a move. Some people would surely
      > be unhappy with a move, so we might lose a few members. Given how
      > small of a community this is right now, that is a very serious
      > risk. Another danger would be that a easier to use forum might
      > increase the quantity of posters, while reducing quality. This
      > forum has very high quality, so this is a considerable risk.
      >
      > I think steps can be taken to minimize this latter risk and that is
      > because I have a candidate message board to consider.
      >
      > Here is main page for this site.
      > http://www.basketballboards.net/
      >
      > Here is the forums page.
      > http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/
      >
      > Here is a low-volume forum that I used to be pretty active on.
      > http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?
      > s=&daysprune=1000&forumid=111
      >
      > In the past I have been a moderator on this no-popups site with
      > minimal advertising. They do allow people to become supporting
      > members of the site ($10 a year), but it is not required.
      >
      > I would imagine we could get very heavy moderating for this forum so
      > that we did not get the flood of pointless posts that can crop up on
      > message boards like this. I have not approached this site about
      > hosting APBR Analysis, but I would be amazed if they were not fully
      > supportive of our special needs.
      >
      > This is just a thought, and I thought there was little harm in
      > seeing what folks thought about this.
    • igor eduardo küpfer
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "dan_t_rosenbaum"
        > <rosenbaum@u...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I have mentioned this issue to DeanO in the past, but I was
        >> wondering if there would be any interest in moving to this forum to
        >> another discussion board.

        Yes. Even more now, since I didn't even get the original post -- I'm
        replying through DeanO's reply.
        >> I think steps can be taken to minimize this latter risk and that is
        >> because I have a candidate message board to consider.
        >>
        >> Here is main page for this site.
        >> http://www.basketballboards.net/

        >> In the past I have been a moderator on this no-popups site with
        >> minimal advertising. They do allow people to become supporting
        >> members of the site ($10 a year), but it is not required.

        I find that site acceptable.

        I don't suppose anyone would be interested in a Usenet-based list, would
        they? The advantages would be excellent searchability, either through Google
        or a newsreader, and custom threading and presentation options, according to
        each reader's preference. The disadvantages would be a lack of formatting,
        Usenet being exclusively ascii-based, and the lack of familiarity many
        people have with Usenet and how it works. Just throwing it out there.

        I'd like to see some more discussion on a move, but you can put me on the
        "enthusiastic yes" side.

        --
        ed
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
            >It looks like I'll be doing a book signing in Seattle over the
            >holidays. Date to be determined. The paperback is out with Bill
            >James' endorsement on it. Yay!

            Tell us (or at least me) when it'll be, because I'll be up there
            for a week, hopefully going to the Denver game.

            >And there should be an espn piece and a Seattle PI piece sometime soon
            >on some of what I'm doing for the Sonics, though not a lot of the secrets.

            A nice piece by ESPN Page 2's Eric Neel:
            http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/041208

            --MKT
          • Gabe Farkas
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
              Keep us posted on the ESPN piece, I'll be on the
              lookout for it!

              --- Dean Oliver <deano@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Here is a low-volume forum that I used to be
              > pretty active on.

              http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?
              > > s=&daysprune=1000&forumid=111
              > >
              > > In the past I have been a moderator on this
              > no-popups site with
              > > minimal advertising. They do allow people to
              > become supporting
              > > members of the site ($10 a year), but it is not
              > required.
              > >
              > > I would imagine we could get very heavy moderating
              > for this forum so
              > > that we did not get the flood of pointless posts
              > that can crop up on
              > > message boards like this. I have not approached
              > this site about
              > > hosting APBR Analysis, but I would be amazed if
              > they were not fully
              > > supportive of our special needs.
              > >
              > > This is just a thought, and I thought there was

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Ed Ouellette
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                I'd be interested to know when it's happening, too, Dean. Ideally it'd be at Elliot Bay Books so I could just cross the street during work and come over and meet you in person :)

                Ed O.