Re: similarity scores

  • Justin Kubatko
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 6, 2004
      John Hollinger wrote:

      > Using the (3FG * 3FG%)/MP is a way to rate players in these
      > categories that I hadn't considered; I'll have to put these
      > into my formulae and see how the output shapes up.

      Please let me know what you discover. As I mention in the write-up on
      my site, I wanted a way to measure both three-point quantity and
      quality. I thought this might work well.

      --
      Regards,
      Justin Kubatko
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 20, 2004
        Thank you. I am an idiot sometimes. It is a challenge sometimes to
        write out correct and clear instructions. And to think this is what
        I do for a living. :)

        1. Compute the weighted mean.
        2. Compute the squared deviations from the weighted mean.
        3. Weight the squared deviations by minutes played.
        4. Sum the weighted squared deviations.
        5. Divide this sum by the sum of minutes played.
        6. Take the square root of this weighted average of the squared
        deviations.

        And I do not think there is any need to square the weights. I do
        not believe this is what is done in most typical regression packages.

        Best wishes,
        Dan

        > Yup, although if it's a standard deviation that we're
        > calculating, I think what you want in step 2 is to
        > SQUARE the deviations.
        >
        > And in 5, although dividing by the sum of minutes played
        > is good, arguably better might be to reduce that
        > figure slightly to correct for degrees of freedom,
        > by multiplying the minutes played by (N-1)/N.
        >
        > And given the squaring that I describe in step 2,
        > then there of course needs to be a step 6: take
        > the square root, after you finish step 5.
        >
        > The procedure that I describe is, e.g., the one
        > described in the National Institute of Standards
        > and Technology's nifty statistics website:

        http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/software/dataplot/refman2/ch2/weightsd
        .pdf