Re: Phoenix Suns

  • wimpds
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
      I'm not sure Stoudemire's FG% is sustainable. Nash's almost certainly
      is not.

      Ben

      <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

      > Nash, Marion and Stoudemire all are playing well above their career
      > norms. Nash and Marion can probably be expected to regress a little
      > since they're mid-career players. For Stoudemire, this just looks to
      > me like his natural evolution into the next Karl Malone.
      >
      > I should point out that Quentin Richardson has been significantly
      > BELOW his averages thus far, so he could make up some of the
      > inevitable Nash/Marion decline. Big issue for Phoenix is what happens
      > if anybody gets hurt, because the bench is awful. That's what killed
      > them last year.
      >

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick
      > <highfivehoopschool@y...> wrote:
      > > Nash is shooting 50+% from the floor and leading the league in
      > assists. Plus, he provides veteran leadership to a team that is
      > otherwise a bunch of kids and he pushes the ball like no other:
      > despite Nowitski's play, Dallas' scoring is down 8 PPG from last
      > season.

      > > Mike G <msg_53@h...> wrote:
      > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "monepeterson" <mone@s...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Curious what the thought was on the Suns hot start so far. What
      > are
      > > > the differences so far in how they're playing this year as
      > opposed
      > > > last year. Is Nash having any quantifiable effect?
      > >
      > > Short answer: Amare is about twice the player he was last year.
      > His
      > > inside presence covers for the team's lack of a center. Nash's
      > > offensive Presence covers for his lack of defense.
      > >
      > > They don't look very deep, though. Good starting 5; nothing behind
      > > them.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > Service.

      > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
    • dan_t_rosenbaum
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2004
        I think the Phoenix Suns are a perfect case where stats-folks like
        us can really miss the boat. Last season because of his poor
        passing and the Sun's poor spacing, Stoudemire was very susceptible
        to double teams. This season by surrounding Stoudemire with four
        three point shooters, one being a fabulous passer in Steve Nash, it
        is going to be very costly for teams to double team Stoudemire.
        Throw in the extra fast break baskets and point blank feeds by Nash
        and I think it is very possible that Stoudemire maintains something
        close to his current field goal percentage. And his passing appears
        to be getting better too.

        The Sun's offense with four legitimate three point shooters opens up
        the post for Stoudemire, drives for Nash, and slashes to the basket
        for Johnson, Marion, and Richardson. And this is when teams are
        successful getting the Suns into a half court game. Personally, I
        was a skeptic of the Suns' moves this summer, but I was wrong
        because I did not see how the interactions between these players
        would make them all better.

        (Unfortunately, I was not wise enough to keep this skepticism to
        myself, so I recently ate some humble pie in a correspondence with a
        member of the Suns' front office.)

        And on defense the size, strength, length, and quickness of Marion,
        Richardson, and Johnson make this a very effective trapping team,
        which compensates for Stoudemire and Nash not being great
        defenders. This is a perfect case of the sum being much greater
        than the parts.

        <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

        > Nash, Marion and Stoudemire all are playing well above their
        career
        > norms. Nash and Marion can probably be expected to regress a
        little
        > since they're mid-career players. For Stoudemire, this just looks
        > me like his natural evolution into the next Karl Malone.
        >
        > I should point out that Quentin Richardson has been significantly
        > BELOW his averages thus far, so he could make up some of the
        > inevitable Nash/Marion decline. Big issue for Phoenix is what
        happens
        > if anybody gets hurt, because the bench is awful. That's what
        killed
        > them last year.
        >

        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick
        > <highfivehoopschool@y...> wrote:
        > > Nash is shooting 50+% from the floor and leading the league in
        > assists. Plus, he provides veteran leadership to a team that is
        > otherwise a bunch of kids and he pushes the ball like no other:
        > despite Nowitski's play, Dallas' scoring is down 8 PPG from last
        > season.
        > >
        > > Mike G <msg_53@h...> wrote:
        > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "monepeterson" <mone@s...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Curious what the thought was on the Suns hot start so far.
        What
        > are
        > > > the differences so far in how they're playing this year as
        > opposed
        > > > last year. Is Nash having any quantifiable effect?
        > >
        > > Short answer: Amare is about twice the player he was last year.
        > His
        > > inside presence covers for the team's lack of a center. Nash's
        > > offensive Presence covers for his lack of defense.
        > >
        > > They don't look very deep, though. Good starting 5; nothing
        behind
        > > them.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Service.

        > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
      • thedawgsareout
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
          > I think the Phoenix Suns are a perfect case where stats-folks like
          > us can really miss the boat.

          Dan, while you raise great points about why people like us missed
          the boat on the Suns and I completely agree, I would point out that
          a lot of other people missed the boat too.

          I had Phoenix 11th in the West, but basically even with the 9th and
          10th teams.

          NBA.com and _Sports Illustrated_ both had the Suns 10th. Marc Stein
          had them slightly better, eighth. Only Bill Simmons of the previews
          I quickly glanced at had the Suns substantially higher -- fifth.
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
            One thing I will say about predictions in general: Injuries wreak
            havoc with them. A team like Phoenix that has had no substantial
            injuries will almost always outperform their expectation, as opposed
            to a team like, oh, say, New Orleans. The general rule of thumb in
            the NBA is that at least one starter is injured, and if you're not in
            that situation you're lucky.

            It's especially true in the Suns' case. The last two years they've
            been great when everyone's healthy and pretty weak when somebody's
            been hurt, because their bench players haven't been up to snuff.

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "thedawgsareout"