Re: Phoenix Suns

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
      <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

      > Nash, Marion and Stoudemire all are playing well above their
      career
      > norms. Nash and Marion can probably be expected to regress a
      little
      > since they're mid-career players.

      Marion should still improve at his age. Last couple of years he
      kind of stalled out at sub-allstar level. The doldrums, between
      Kidd and Nash.

      > For Stoudemire, this just looks to
      > me like his natural evolution into the next Karl Malone.

      He doesn't rebound like the Mailman, though. The Suns have no
      center; their SF Marion is their top rebounder.

      Stoud and Nash have pretty much unthinkable shooting % going so
      far. They're sure to drop off some.

      On the subject of Rest: Does anyone else think it's not that much
      more stressful to run and gun/dunk, than to play grindball? The
      other team has to run to keep up; and defense gets more tired,
      making your work easier.
    • wimpds
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
        I'm not sure Stoudemire's FG% is sustainable. Nash's almost certainly
        is not.

        Ben

        <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

        > Nash, Marion and Stoudemire all are playing well above their career
        > norms. Nash and Marion can probably be expected to regress a little
        > since they're mid-career players. For Stoudemire, this just looks to
        > me like his natural evolution into the next Karl Malone.
        >
        > I should point out that Quentin Richardson has been significantly
        > BELOW his averages thus far, so he could make up some of the
        > inevitable Nash/Marion decline. Big issue for Phoenix is what happens
        > if anybody gets hurt, because the bench is awful. That's what killed
        > them last year.
        >

        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick
        > <highfivehoopschool@y...> wrote:
        > > Nash is shooting 50+% from the floor and leading the league in
        > assists. Plus, he provides veteran leadership to a team that is
        > otherwise a bunch of kids and he pushes the ball like no other:
        > despite Nowitski's play, Dallas' scoring is down 8 PPG from last
        > season.

        > > Mike G <msg_53@h...> wrote:
        > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "monepeterson" <mone@s...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Curious what the thought was on the Suns hot start so far. What
        > are
        > > > the differences so far in how they're playing this year as
        > opposed
        > > > last year. Is Nash having any quantifiable effect?
        > >
        > > Short answer: Amare is about twice the player he was last year.
        > His
        > > inside presence covers for the team's lack of a center. Nash's
        > > offensive Presence covers for his lack of defense.
        > >
        > > They don't look very deep, though. Good starting 5; nothing behind
        > > them.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Service.

        > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
      • dan_t_rosenbaum
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2004
          I think the Phoenix Suns are a perfect case where stats-folks like
          us can really miss the boat. Last season because of his poor
          passing and the Sun's poor spacing, Stoudemire was very susceptible
          to double teams. This season by surrounding Stoudemire with four
          three point shooters, one being a fabulous passer in Steve Nash, it
          is going to be very costly for teams to double team Stoudemire.
          Throw in the extra fast break baskets and point blank feeds by Nash
          and I think it is very possible that Stoudemire maintains something
          close to his current field goal percentage. And his passing appears
          to be getting better too.

          The Sun's offense with four legitimate three point shooters opens up
          the post for Stoudemire, drives for Nash, and slashes to the basket
          for Johnson, Marion, and Richardson. And this is when teams are
          successful getting the Suns into a half court game. Personally, I
          was a skeptic of the Suns' moves this summer, but I was wrong
          because I did not see how the interactions between these players
          would make them all better.

          (Unfortunately, I was not wise enough to keep this skepticism to
          myself, so I recently ate some humble pie in a correspondence with a
          member of the Suns' front office.)

          And on defense the size, strength, length, and quickness of Marion,
          Richardson, and Johnson make this a very effective trapping team,
          which compensates for Stoudemire and Nash not being great
          defenders. This is a perfect case of the sum being much greater
          than the parts.

          <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

          > Nash, Marion and Stoudemire all are playing well above their
          career
          > norms. Nash and Marion can probably be expected to regress a
          little
          > since they're mid-career players. For Stoudemire, this just looks
          > me like his natural evolution into the next Karl Malone.
          >
          > I should point out that Quentin Richardson has been significantly
          > BELOW his averages thus far, so he could make up some of the
          > inevitable Nash/Marion decline. Big issue for Phoenix is what
          happens
          > if anybody gets hurt, because the bench is awful. That's what
          killed
          > them last year.
          >

          > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick
          > <highfivehoopschool@y...> wrote:
          > > Nash is shooting 50+% from the floor and leading the league in
          > assists. Plus, he provides veteran leadership to a team that is
          > otherwise a bunch of kids and he pushes the ball like no other:
          > despite Nowitski's play, Dallas' scoring is down 8 PPG from last
          > season.
          > >
          > > Mike G <msg_53@h...> wrote:
          > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "monepeterson" <mone@s...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Curious what the thought was on the Suns hot start so far.
          What
          > are
          > > > the differences so far in how they're playing this year as
          > opposed
          > > > last year. Is Nash having any quantifiable effect?
          > >
          > > Short answer: Amare is about twice the player he was last year.
          > His
          > > inside presence covers for the team's lack of a center. Nash's
          > > offensive Presence covers for his lack of defense.
          > >
          > > They don't look very deep, though. Good starting 5; nothing
          behind
          > > them.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          > Service.

          > > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
        • thedawgsareout
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
            > I think the Phoenix Suns are a perfect case where stats-folks like
            > us can really miss the boat.

            Dan, while you raise great points about why people like us missed
            the boat on the Suns and I completely agree, I would point out that
            a lot of other people missed the boat too.

            I had Phoenix 11th in the West, but basically even with the 9th and
            10th teams.

            NBA.com and _Sports Illustrated_ both had the Suns 10th. Marc Stein
            had them slightly better, eighth. Only Bill Simmons of the previews
            I quickly glanced at had the Suns substantially higher -- fifth.
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
              One thing I will say about predictions in general: Injuries wreak
              havoc with them. A team like Phoenix that has had no substantial
              injuries will almost always outperform their expectation, as opposed
              to a team like, oh, say, New Orleans. The general rule of thumb in
              the NBA is that at least one starter is injured, and if you're not in
              that situation you're lucky.

              It's especially true in the Suns' case. The last two years they've
              been great when everyone's healthy and pretty weak when somebody's
              been hurt, because their bench players haven't been up to snuff.

              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "thedawgsareout"