RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: How well do players play on no rest?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      Interesting, certainly for distance runners there's a ton of research which says they need to "taper" their training -- ease off and take it easy in the days, or even weeks, before their big marathon or whatever.

      Of course that's a marathon whereas a basketball game is more like a series of sprints.  And involves fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and as StephenG says, decision-making, which marathoning does not, at least not to nearly the same extent.

      Layoffs from 1 day up to even 5 days or more usually make me perform better athletically.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
        I thought it might be random at first too, but he
        consistently did it all last season too, on a
        different team!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dlirag@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
          I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
          tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal for
          individual performance. On a related note, one of their calculations
          showed that rest days don't seem to significantly affect team
          performance.

          wrote:
          > I thought it might be random at first too, but he
          > consistently did it all last season too, on a
          > different team!
          >

          > --- Michael Tamada <tamada@o...> wrote:
          >
          > > That was my first thought too!
          > >
          > > More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina
          > > teammates
          > > who play poorly on 0 days rest. So on the second
          > > game of a
          > > back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.
          > >
          > > Without looking at additional players and years of
          > > data, my
          > > most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.
          > >

          > > --MKT

        • thedawgsareout
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
            > I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
            > tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal
            > for individual performance. On a related note, one of their

            I'm pretty sure it was Igor, but I've been digging through the
            archives recently and I can't recall coming across it. Hopefully he
            can find it for us.

            In Boozer's specific case, I think the stats might speak to his ...
            ahem ... training methods on nights where he doesn't have a game.