RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: How well do players play on no rest?

  • Stephen Greenwell
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      Has there been a study done on how players on average perform on 0, 1, etc. days of rest?  I haven't seen it if it exists.  From anecdotal experience, I've normally played my best basketball the day or day after a long session - I tend to be a little more tired and try to force the issue less, creating less turnovers.  Maybe Gooden operates in a similar fashion and focuses on boxing people out (increased rebounds) and playing defense?

      Stephen Greenwell

      That was my first thought too!

      More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina teammates
      who play poorly on 0 days rest.  So on the second game of a
      back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.

      Without looking at additional players and years of data, my
      most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
        Interesting, certainly for distance runners there's a ton of research which says they need to "taper" their training -- ease off and take it easy in the days, or even weeks, before their big marathon or whatever.

        Of course that's a marathon whereas a basketball game is more like a series of sprints.  And involves fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and as StephenG says, decision-making, which marathoning does not, at least not to nearly the same extent.

        Layoffs from 1 day up to even 5 days or more usually make me perform better athletically.

        Perhaps he's trying to rebound from the weak performance the day
        before!  :)

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...> wrote:
        > Taking a look at the per-days-of-rest splits for Drew
        > Gooden this year, I found something peculiar:
        >
        > 0 days rest - 34.4 mpg, 16.2 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 4.4 FTA/g,
        > 2.4 bpg, 1.2 spg
        >
        > 1 days rest - 29 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 3.8 FTA/g, 1
        > bpg, .5 spg
        >
        > 2 days rest - 26.5 mpg, 7 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.5 FTA/g, .8
        > bpg, 1.8 spg,
        >
        > Except for the 1.8 spg on 2 days rest (mostly
        > resulting from a 4 steal outburst against the Wizards
        > on 11/13), he seems to be playing significantly better
        > on no rest. I found this interesting, because I
        > noticed the same pattern with him last year as well.
        >
        > Anyone have any theories on why this might be? What is
        > the "optimal" number of days of rest for players?

      • Gabe Farkas
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
          I thought it might be random at first too, but he
          consistently did it all last season too, on a
          different team!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • dlirag@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
            I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
            tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal for
            individual performance. On a related note, one of their calculations
            showed that rest days don't seem to significantly affect team
            performance.

            wrote:
            > I thought it might be random at first too, but he
            > consistently did it all last season too, on a
            > different team!
            >

            > --- Michael Tamada <tamada@o...> wrote:
            >
            > > That was my first thought too!
            > >
            > > More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina
            > > teammates
            > > who play poorly on 0 days rest. So on the second
            > > game of a
            > > back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.
            > >
            > > Without looking at additional players and years of
            > > data, my
            > > most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.
            > >

            > > --MKT

          • thedawgsareout
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
              > I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
              > tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal
              > for individual performance. On a related note, one of their

              I'm pretty sure it was Igor, but I've been digging through the
              archives recently and I can't recall coming across it. Hopefully he
              can find it for us.

              In Boozer's specific case, I think the stats might speak to his ...
              ahem ... training methods on nights where he doesn't have a game.