RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: How well do players play on no rest?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      That was my first thought too!

      More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina teammates
      who play poorly on 0 days rest. So on the second game of a
      back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.

      Without looking at additional players and years of data, my
      most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
          Interesting, certainly for distance runners there's a ton of research which says they need to "taper" their training -- ease off and take it easy in the days, or even weeks, before their big marathon or whatever.

          Of course that's a marathon whereas a basketball game is more like a series of sprints.  And involves fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and as StephenG says, decision-making, which marathoning does not, at least not to nearly the same extent.

          Layoffs from 1 day up to even 5 days or more usually make me perform better athletically.

          Perhaps he's trying to rebound from the weak performance the day
          before!  :)

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...> wrote:
          > Taking a look at the per-days-of-rest splits for Drew
          > Gooden this year, I found something peculiar:
          >
          > 0 days rest - 34.4 mpg, 16.2 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 4.4 FTA/g,
          > 2.4 bpg, 1.2 spg
          >
          > 1 days rest - 29 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 3.8 FTA/g, 1
          > bpg, .5 spg
          >
          > 2 days rest - 26.5 mpg, 7 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.5 FTA/g, .8
          > bpg, 1.8 spg,
          >
          > Except for the 1.8 spg on 2 days rest (mostly
          > resulting from a 4 steal outburst against the Wizards
          > on 11/13), he seems to be playing significantly better
          > on no rest. I found this interesting, because I
          > noticed the same pattern with him last year as well.
          >
          > Anyone have any theories on why this might be? What is
          > the "optimal" number of days of rest for players?

        • Gabe Farkas
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
            I thought it might be random at first too, but he
            consistently did it all last season too, on a
            different team!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • dlirag@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
              I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
              tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal for
              individual performance. On a related note, one of their calculations
              showed that rest days don't seem to significantly affect team
              performance.

              wrote:
              > I thought it might be random at first too, but he
              > consistently did it all last season too, on a
              > different team!
              >

              > --- Michael Tamada <tamada@o...> wrote:
              >
              > > That was my first thought too!
              > >
              > > More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina
              > > teammates
              > > who play poorly on 0 days rest. So on the second
              > > game of a
              > > back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.
              > >
              > > Without looking at additional players and years of
              > > data, my
              > > most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.
              > >

              > > --MKT

            • thedawgsareout
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
                > I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
                > tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal
                > for individual performance. On a related note, one of their

                I'm pretty sure it was Igor, but I've been digging through the
                archives recently and I can't recall coming across it. Hopefully he
                can find it for us.

                In Boozer's specific case, I think the stats might speak to his ...
                ahem ... training methods on nights where he doesn't have a game.