How well do players play on no rest?

  • Gabe Farkas
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      Taking a look at the per-days-of-rest splits for Drew
      Gooden this year, I found something peculiar:

      0 days rest - 34.4 mpg, 16.2 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 4.4 FTA/g,
      2.4 bpg, 1.2 spg

      1 days rest - 29 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 3.8 FTA/g, 1
      bpg, .5 spg

      2 days rest - 26.5 mpg, 7 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.5 FTA/g, .8
      bpg, 1.8 spg,

      Except for the 1.8 spg on 2 days rest (mostly
      resulting from a 4 steal outburst against the Wizards
      on 11/13), he seems to be playing significantly better
      on no rest. I found this interesting, because I
      noticed the same pattern with him last year as well.

      Anyone have any theories on why this might be? What is
      the "optimal" number of days of rest for players?

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • wimpds
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
        Interesting.

        Perhaps he's trying to rebound from the weak performance the day
        before! :)

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
          That was my first thought too!

          More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina teammates
          who play poorly on 0 days rest. So on the second game of a
          back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.

          Without looking at additional players and years of data, my
          most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.

          Perhaps he's trying to rebound from the weak performance the day
          before! :)

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Farkas <gabefark@y...> wrote:
          > Taking a look at the per-days-of-rest splits for Drew
          > Gooden this year, I found something peculiar:
          >
          > 0 days rest - 34.4 mpg, 16.2 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 4.4 FTA/g,
          > 2.4 bpg, 1.2 spg
          >
          > 1 days rest - 29 mpg, 11.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 3.8 FTA/g, 1
          > bpg, .5 spg
          >
          > 2 days rest - 26.5 mpg, 7 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.5 FTA/g, .8
          > bpg, 1.8 spg,
          >
          > Except for the 1.8 spg on 2 days rest (mostly
          > resulting from a 4 steal outburst against the Wizards
          > on 11/13), he seems to be playing significantly better
          > on no rest. I found this interesting, because I
          > noticed the same pattern with him last year as well.
          >
          > Anyone have any theories on why this might be? What is
          > the "optimal" number of days of rest for players?

          > Send holiday email and support a worthy cause. Do good.
          > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Stephen Greenwell

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
              Interesting, certainly for distance runners there's a ton of research which says they need to "taper" their training -- ease off and take it easy in the days, or even weeks, before their big marathon or whatever.

              Of course that's a marathon whereas a basketball game is more like a series of sprints.  And involves fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and as StephenG says, decision-making, which marathoning does not, at least not to nearly the same extent.

              Layoffs from 1 day up to even 5 days or more usually make me perform better athletically.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
                I thought it might be random at first too, but he
                consistently did it all last season too, on a
                different team!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • dlirag@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
                  I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
                  tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal for
                  individual performance. On a related note, one of their calculations
                  showed that rest days don't seem to significantly affect team
                  performance.

                  wrote:
                  > I thought it might be random at first too, but he
                  > consistently did it all last season too, on a
                  > different team!
                  >

                  > --- Michael Tamada <tamada@o...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > That was my first thought too!
                  > >
                  > > More seriously, maybe he has elderly or low-stamina
                  > > teammates
                  > > who play poorly on 0 days rest. So on the second
                  > > game of a
                  > > back-to-back, *he* becomes a go-to guy.
                  > >
                  > > Without looking at additional players and years of
                  > > data, my
                  > > most likely guess is that it's just a random blip.
                  > >

                  > > --MKT

                • thedawgsareout
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
                    > I don't know if it was Igor, DanR, or DeanO, but one of them
                    > tentatively concluded that 2 rest days between games was optimal
                    > for individual performance. On a related note, one of their

                    I'm pretty sure it was Igor, but I've been digging through the
                    archives recently and I can't recall coming across it. Hopefully he
                    can find it for us.

                    In Boozer's specific case, I think the stats might speak to his ...
                    ahem ... training methods on nights where he doesn't have a game.