Re: [APBR_analysis] Speaking of assists...

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2002
      On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, John Craven wrote:

      [...]

      > Taking a look at last year's stats:

      [...]

      > Bottom 10

      [...]

      > 24. New Jersey 57.6%

      So far this year, NJ is at 65.2%. Adding Kidd did a couple of things:
      probably more assists overall (I haven't actually checked this) and almost
      certainly fewer unassisted FGs: Marbury shoots those constantly (and
      sometimes makes them) whereas Kidd shoots a lot less often.

      [...]

      > Doesn't look like a lot of rhyme or reason there. The #1 offense in

      Yes, I'm thinking that yet another factor (someone, maybe Dean O, may've
      mentioned this already somewhere) is offensive rebounds -- teams that get
      a lot of offensive rebounds and/or do a good job of scoring off of them
      will have a larger number of unassisted FGs. Moses Malone, Paul Silas,
      etc.

      But each of these is a relatively small, independent effect: the overall
      team assisted FG % is probably determined by a lot of these small
      effects, with no one single simple story to explain why some teams are
      high or low. "Cooperativeness" could be one of the factors, maybe even a
      large one, but there are a host of other factors involved.