Free Throws

  • sugarqubed
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
      It seems like the number of touch fouls is up and more free throws
      are being shot. It is early and the emphasis on the new hand check
      rules was made in the preseason. Just wondering if anyone has
      historic number of free throws attempted average as well as team
      foul averages. I;d like to compare the historic numbers to this year
      to see if the fouls are or if its my imagination. It seems to me
      that an inordinate amount of games have the teams in teh penalty
      very early on in all quarters.
    • bchaikin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
        It seems like the number of touch fouls is up and more free throws are being shot. It is early and the emphasis on the new hand check rules was made in the preseason. Just wondering if anyone has historic number of free throws attempted average as well as team foul averages. I'd like to compare the historic numbers to this year to see if the fouls are or if its my imagination.  It seems to me that an inordinate amount of games have the teams in the penalty very early on in all quarters.

          year      fta/g    pf/g   fta/pf
        198990    28.5   23.3   1.23
        199091    27.9   23.2   1.20
        199192    26.7   22.2   1.20
        199293    27.7   23.2   1.20
        199394    26.6   22.2   1.20
        199495    27.1   23.5   1.15
        199596    26.4   23.0   1.15
        199697    25.3   22.1   1.15
        199798    26.3   22.4   1.17
        199899    25.8   22.2   1.16
        199900    25.3   23.3   1.08
        200001    24.9   22.3   1.11
        200102    23.8   21.2   1.12
        200203    24.4   21.8   1.12
        200304    24.2   21.4   1.13

        bob chaikin

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2004
          Interesting, I would've expected the FTs to be up more this year, given David Stern's comments about how he's basically ordered to refs to call those touch fouls, and if it results in lots of FTAs, then so be it, until the foullers stop foulling.

          Game pace could explain some of the decline, but I don't think Possessions or Plays per game have diminished that much compared to the 1990 or 1991 seasons, have they?

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
            Tamada makes a good point, although I disagree in that
            I think possessions per game HAS declined.

            Fouls/Possession might be a telling statistic...

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jnonv3/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1705066992:HM/EXP=1100068003/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2376776/rand=518977370>

            > _____
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
            > .

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • sugarqubed
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
              Hey Bob do you have the same numbers for this year so far?

              Thanks in advance great work.

            • bchaikin@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004

[...]

                200405    27.4   24.7   1.11 (after 94 games)

                bob chaikin

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
                  I should've written more clearly; even without
                  looking at the hard numbers, we know that
                  possessions and plays (or major and minor
                  possessions) per game have declined.

                  What I was trying to say is that I'd be
                  surprised if they declined enough to explain
                  the decrease in fouls per game, basically
                  a 1/7th decrease compared to 1990 or 1991.
                  Scoring has gone down, what, 10% over those
                  years? Whereas fouls per game have gone
                  down almost 14%.

                  Possessions and plays per game, I don't know
                  but my guess would be they've diminished at
                  something closer to 10% than 14%.

                  This is all off the top of my head, no time to
                  look at the actual data.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
                    Looked at another way, free throws per field goal attempt have
                    increased from 0.29 last year to 0.34 this year, which is one of the
                    big reasons that scoring is way up from a year ago.