Re: [APBR_analysis] RJ's night

  • Gabe Farkas
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
      along those lines, what's the record for most TOs by a
      team in a single game? i would think it's around 44 or
      so.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
        I mistakenly posted the wrong line for Jefferson of '04; here is the
        relevant line of comparison with his near-quad-double night:

        -- min eff% Sco. Reb Ast P.F Stl T.O Blk - Total
        RJ1 38 .571 21.6 6.0 4.2 2.7 1.1 2.4 0.3 - 31.8
        RJ2 57 .497 17.4 15. 6.1 1.5 2.2 8.0 0.7 - 34.1

        ..the 2nd line being his 57-minute effort last night.

        > if i'm reading that right - that's eleven turnovers?? if that's
        the case
        > then there is nothing in that stat line makes up for 11
        turnovers...

        Well, 21 rebounds in a game that is 50-46 for his team, in that
        category, does a lot of good.

        > imagine if he was one of 4 players on the same team to score 26
        points.
        > that'd be 100+ points. but if each had 11 turnovers that'd be 44
        turnovers. can
        > you think of the last time a team won a game with anywhere near
        that many
        > turnovers?...

        Wilt Chamberlain would have been having a typical game, to go 26-21-
        9, around '67 or '68. And we don't know about turnovers, "back
        then".

        What if the 4 players in your example got 84 boards to the
        opponents' total of 46? How many teams don't win with that kind of
        rebounding advantage ?

        The fact the player had 11 TO and his team DID win says that one
        player with that stat line can contribute to a winning effort. His
        coach didn't take him out much.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004

          >min FGM/A Threes Reb Ast tos stl blcks pf pts
          >57   9/23   1/3  21   9  11   3    1    2  26

          […]

          >if i'm reading that right - that's eleven turnovers?? if that's the case then there is nothing in that >stat line makes up for 11 turnovers...

          >imagine if he was one of 4 players on the same team to score 26 points. that'd be 100+ points. >but if each had 11 turnovers that'd be 44 turnovers. can you think of the last time a team won a >game with anywhere near that many turnovers?...

          That’s true, but by the same reasoning, said team would’ve grabbed 84 rebounds.  That’d be basically every single missed shot in today’s NBA.  The Nets could give the ball away a lot and still be okay, if they grabbed every single one of their missed shots plus all of their opponents missed shots.