RJ's night

  • harlanzo
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
      Last night Richard Jefferson put up the following stat line:

      min FGM/A Threes Reb Ast tos stl blcks pf pts
      57 9/23 1/3 21 9 11 3 1 2 26

      How does this score on people's rating systems. To what extent does
      the poor shooting and tos eat away at his scoring/boarding?
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>
        wrote:

        > Last night Richard Jefferson put up the following stat line:
        >
        > min FGM/A Threes Reb Ast tos stl blcks pf pts
        > 57 9/23 1/3 21 9 11 3 1 2 26
        >
        > How does this score on people's rating systems. To what extent
        does
        > the poor shooting and tos eat away at his scoring/boarding?

        At first glance, it doesn't look like that big a deal to score 26
        pts in 57 minutes. But the fact he stayed in the game that long is
        impressive, as are the rebounds.

        If there were 100+ rebounds in the game, I'd be less impressed; but
        in fact it was 50-46 in favor of NJ.

        Under his line in my file from last season, I've created an "RJ2"
        line based only on this one game. Here's how they compare:

        -- min eff% Sco. Reb Ast P.F Stl T.O Blk - Total
        RJ1 38 .571 17.9 5.3 3.5 2.7 1.1 2.4 0.3 - 26.4
        RJ2 57 .497 17.4 15. 6.1 1.5 2.2 8.0 0.7 - 34.1

        A good game by any standards; just not as good as some 26-21-9
        nights.

        He was 7-7 from the FT line, so that moderates his eff% somewhat
      • bchaikin@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
          Last night Richard Jefferson put up the following stat line:

          min FGM/A Threes Reb Ast tos stl blcks pf pts
          57   9/23   1/3  21   9  11   3    1    2  26

          How does this score on people's rating systems.  To what extent does he poor shooting and tos eat away at his scoring/boarding?

          if i'm reading that right - that's eleven turnovers?? if that's the case then there is nothing in that stat line makes up for 11 turnovers...

          imagine if he was one of 4 players on the same team to score 26 points. that'd be 100+ points. but if each had 11 turnovers that'd be 44 turnovers. can you think of the last time a team won a game with anywhere near that many turnovers?...

          bob chaikin

        • Gabe Farkas
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
            along those lines, what's the record for most TOs by a
            team in a single game? i would think it's around 44 or
            so.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
              I mistakenly posted the wrong line for Jefferson of '04; here is the
              relevant line of comparison with his near-quad-double night:

              -- min eff% Sco. Reb Ast P.F Stl T.O Blk - Total
              RJ1 38 .571 21.6 6.0 4.2 2.7 1.1 2.4 0.3 - 31.8
              RJ2 57 .497 17.4 15. 6.1 1.5 2.2 8.0 0.7 - 34.1

              ..the 2nd line being his 57-minute effort last night.

              > if i'm reading that right - that's eleven turnovers?? if that's
              the case
              > then there is nothing in that stat line makes up for 11
              turnovers...

              Well, 21 rebounds in a game that is 50-46 for his team, in that
              category, does a lot of good.

              > imagine if he was one of 4 players on the same team to score 26
              points.
              > that'd be 100+ points. but if each had 11 turnovers that'd be 44
              turnovers. can
              > you think of the last time a team won a game with anywhere near
              that many
              > turnovers?...

              Wilt Chamberlain would have been having a typical game, to go 26-21-
              9, around '67 or '68. And we don't know about turnovers, "back
              then".

              What if the 4 players in your example got 84 boards to the
              opponents' total of 46? How many teams don't win with that kind of
              rebounding advantage ?

              The fact the player had 11 TO and his team DID win says that one
              player with that stat line can contribute to a winning effort. His
              coach didn't take him out much.
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004

                >min FGM/A Threes Reb Ast tos stl blcks pf pts
                >57   9/23   1/3  21   9  11   3    1    2  26

                […]

                >if i'm reading that right - that's eleven turnovers?? if that's the case then there is nothing in that >stat line makes up for 11 turnovers...

                >imagine if he was one of 4 players on the same team to score 26 points. that'd be 100+ points. >but if each had 11 turnovers that'd be 44 turnovers. can you think of the last time a team won a >game with anywhere near that many turnovers?...

                That’s true, but by the same reasoning, said team would’ve grabbed 84 rebounds.  That’d be basically every single missed shot in today’s NBA.  The Nets could give the ball away a lot and still be okay, if they grabbed every single one of their missed shots plus all of their opponents missed shots.