Individual Basketball

  • Carlos
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      A nice piece by DeanO on 82games.com http://www.82games.com/comm54.htm .

      I was especially intrigued by this remark "Part of this is definitely
      expansion. In years where the NBA has added two expansion teams,
      individuality has gone up league-wide (it didn't go up with the single
      addition of Dallas in 1980-81). It would make sense for offenses to
      cluster a bit more around top individuals if their support is suddenly
      downgraded, even if it is a small downgrade.". It seems to suggest
      that the dilution of the talent pool through expansion may be a bigger
      factor than we usually think.
      I was also interested in this "Slowing the game, which has been a
      steady trend for more than 25 years, may also have something to do
      with individuality, though cause and effect are not clear." A way to
      check this relationship would be to see if slower teams played more
      individual basketball than their peers.

      Carlos