Re: Predict regular season winning percentage here....

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
      > I'm interested to see what the different approaches are to
      predicting
      > regular season winning percentage. Anyone care to predict a team or
      > all the teams, and share their methodology?

      OK, here goes. I took the PER of each player from the previous season
      and made adjustments for his individual defense until the sum of (PER
      x minute) for each team approximated their expected wins for the
      season. Then I put the players on their new teams, rated the top nine
      guys on each roster (making subjective adjustments for second-year
      improvement, age, flukes, injuries, etc.), estimated the
      effectiveness of the rookies, and summed up the results for each team.

      What I got was:

      EAST
      Indiana 55 27
      Detroit 52 30
      Washington 47 35
      Miami 44 38
      Milwaukee 43 39
      New York 41 41
      Cleveland 40 42
      Philadelphia 38 44

      Toronto 38 44
      Boston 37 45
      Chicago 30 52
      Orlando 30 52
      New Jersey 27 55
      Charlotte 25 57
      Atlanta 22 60

      WEST
      San Antonio 59 23
      Dallas 56 26
      Memphis 51 31
      Denver 50 32
      Minnesota 48 34
      Houston 48 34
      Utah 47 35
      Sacramento 45 37

      L.A. Lakers 41 41
      New Orleans 39 43
      Phoenix 37 45
      Golden State 37 45
      Portland 35 47
      Seattle 34 48
      LA Clippers 33 49

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "mrintp2000" <shzys@n...> wrote:

      > I'm interested to see what the different approaches are to
      predicting
      > regular season winning percentage. Anyone care to predict a team or
      > all the teams, and share their methodology?
      >.
    • Coach McCormick
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
        Looks good. However, why did Minnesota drop precipitously? And, how did Washington get so high?

        There are a few that I think will change (Philly will be higher, LAL will make the play-offs, Phoenix a couple more wins), but it is definitely an intereting way to gamble....

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
          Minnesota surprised me too. Age of Cassell and Spre is a big issue,
          and they had 56 expected wins compared to 58 real wins.

          For Washington, having Jamison replace Hayes/Jeffries at small
          forwards is worth at least 10 wins alone. Having Arenas and Hughes
          for a full year (theoretically) and the huge number of second and
          third year players on the roster make them likely to pull off a major
          gain in wins.

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick

          Service.

        • mrintp2000
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
            Interesting approach, I think your predictions are probably closer to
            the midline than what the actual records will be. I expect Atlanta and
            Charlotte for example, to do much worse than 22 and 25 wins respectively.

            <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

            > > I'm interested to see what the different approaches are to
            > predicting
            > > regular season winning percentage. Anyone care to predict a team or
            > > all the teams, and share their methodology?
            >
            > OK, here goes. I took the PER of each player from the previous season
            > and made adjustments for his individual defense until the sum of (PER
            > x minute) for each team approximated their expected wins for the
            > season. Then I put the players on their new teams, rated the top nine
            > guys on each roster (making subjective adjustments for second-year
            > improvement, age, flukes, injuries, etc.), estimated the
            > effectiveness of the rookies, and summed up the results for each team.
            >
            > What I got was:
            >
            > EAST
            > Indiana 55 27
            > Detroit 52 30
            > Washington 47 35
            > Miami 44 38
            > Milwaukee 43 39
            > New York 41 41
            > Cleveland 40 42
            > Philadelphia 38 44
            >
            > Toronto 38 44
            > Boston 37 45
            > Chicago 30 52
            > Orlando 30 52
            > New Jersey 27 55
            > Charlotte 25 57
            > Atlanta 22 60
            >

            > WEST
            > San Antonio 59 23
            > Dallas 56 26
            > Memphis 51 31
            > Denver 50 32
            > Minnesota 48 34
            > Houston 48 34
            > Utah 47 35
            > Sacramento 45 37
            >
            > L.A. Lakers 41 41
            > New Orleans 39 43
            > Phoenix 37 45
            > Golden State 37 45
            > Portland 35 47
            > Seattle 34 48
            > LA Clippers 33 49
            >
            > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "mrintp2000" <shzys@n...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm interested to see what the different approaches are to
            > predicting
            > > regular season winning percentage. Anyone care to predict a team or
            > > all the teams, and share their methodology?
            > >.
          • mrintp2000
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
              I completely agree on the Wizards. Further, based on the recent
              extension signed by Haywood I'm expecting he may just get the minutes
              he deserves.

              <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > Dallas 56 26
              > > Memphis 51 31
              > > Denver 50 32
              > > Minnesota 48 34
              > > Houston 48 34
              > > Utah 47 35
              > > Sacramento 45 37
              > >
              > > L.A. Lakers 41 41
              > > New Orleans 39 43
              > > Phoenix 37 45
              > > Golden State 37 45
              > > Portland 35 47
              > > Seattle 34 48
              > > LA Clippers 33 49
              > >
              > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "mrintp2000" <shzys@n...>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm interested to see what the different approaches are to
              > > predicting
              > > > regular season winning percentage. Anyone care to predict a team
              > or
              > > > all the teams, and share their methodology?

            • thedawgsareout
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                > I'm interested to see what the different approaches are to
                > predicting regular season winning percentage. Anyone care to
                > predict a team or all the teams, and share their methodology?

                I did something similar to John's method and posted it today:

                http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/nbapreview04.html
              • Coach McCormick
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Wow, looks like I should jump on the washington bandwagon and impress all my friends...

                  Toronto as the #3 seed?

                  Again, very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll look forwar to reading tomorrow for the analysis.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
                    --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "thedawgsareout"
                    <kpelton08@h...> wrote:
                    > ... posted it today:
                    >
                    > http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/nbapreview04.html

                    ^^ Another prediction system that doesn't expect any team to win
                    fewer than 22 games.

                    Even the Warriors are projected to 32 wins. And the Clipps 41 !

                    I doubt I can do any better, though. One thing I do believe in, is
                    getting rid of "leading zeroes" in your decimal fractions:
                    i.e., .488 instead of 0.488

                    Who needs that Zero? I know statisticians are fond of them. It
                    looks like clutter to me; like any other insignificant digit.

                    "Ted Williams batted four-hundred" sounds better than "Ted Williams
                    batted oh-four-hundred".

                    In Excel: Cell Format/ Number/ at the bottom of the list is Custom.
                    Just enter ".000" (no parentheses), and your columns come up that
                    way.

                    What's the Real reason you didn't include the Sonics ?
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
                      OK, for the curious: I've tabulated John's and Kevin's predictions
                      and ranked them by the size of the teams' difference in the two
                      lists.

                      John H gives the Bulls 8 more wins than Kevin P does, so they head
                      the list. Kevin gives the Clippers and Magics 8 more wins than John
                      does, and they're at the bottom.

                      [I guess some people just have to believe in Magic.]

                      Sonics' "wins" by Kevin are inserted by deduction.

                      KP Tm. JH
                      22 Chi 30
                      49 Dal 56
                      45 Den 50
                      32 GSW 37
                      43 Was 47
                      55 SAS 59
                      49 Det 52
                      37 Cle 40
                      36 NO 39
                      42 Mia 44
                      46 Min 48
                      49 Mem 51
                      47 Hou 48
                      37 Phl 38
                      41 LAL 41
                      41 NYK 41
                      27 NJN 27
                      56 Ind 55
                      44 Mil 43
                      36 Sea 35
                      24 Atl 22
                      38 Por 35
                      40 Phe 37
                      51 Uta 47
                      42 Tor 38
                      41 Bos 37
                      30 Cha 25
                      51 Sac 45
                      38 Orl 30
                      41 LAC 33

                      I don't suppose there are common factors shared by teams at the top
                      or bottom of this listing. If there are, they might indicate what
                      factors play heavily in these 2 guys' systems.

                      The "subjective" factor is the most daunting to myself. I don't
                      read much background or watch them play very often.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
                        > ^^ Another prediction system that doesn't expect any team to win
                        > fewer than 22 games.

                        I think that's to be expected -- fundamentally, projections have to
                        be pretty conservative to be accurate and place teams relatively
                        closer to .500 than they actually are. Injuries are usually the
                        reason that doesn't turn out.

                        > Who needs that Zero? I know statisticians are fond of them. It
                        > looks like clutter to me; like any other insignificant digit.

                        I just put it there because it's in the NBA's actual standings and I
                        copied over them for the HTML.

                        > What's the Real reason you didn't include the Sonics ?

                        I think you explained that in the second post.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 10, 2004
                            > KP Tm. JH
                            > 49 Dal 56
                            > 55 SAS 59
                            > 49 Det 52
                            > 49 Mem 51
                            > 56 Ind 55
                            > 51 Uta 47
                            > 51 Sac 45

                            What have these teams done to rate as highly (or better) than the
                            seemingly-unbeatable Pistons of last year ?

                            John Hollinger and Kevin Pelton seem to have spent some time looking
                            over the rosters, grinding the data, and tweaking the results with
                            rookie forcasts and age-discrimination. And one or both guys likes
                            these other teams' chances as much or more than Detroit's.

                            The Pistons aren't an aging group of players (except Rasheed);
                            they've added McDyess (who has a nonzero chance of playing);
                            basically a bunch of guys with perfect chemistry and in their primes.

                            Using last year's stats, we don't see the team that rolled over
                            everyone after Rasheed came. Using the last 1/3 of the season and
                            playoffs we see That team.
                          • Carlos
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 10, 2004

                              > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
                              > > KP Tm. JH
                              > > 49 Dal 56
                              > > 55 SAS 59
                              > > 49 Det 52
                              > > 49 Mem 51
                              > > 56 Ind 55
                              > > 51 Uta 47
                              > > 51 Sac 45
                              >
                              > What have these teams done to rate as highly (or better) than the
                              > seemingly-unbeatable Pistons of last year ?
                              >
                              > John Hollinger and Kevin Pelton seem to have spent some time looking
                              > over the rosters, grinding the data, and tweaking the results with
                              > rookie forcasts and age-discrimination. And one or both guys likes
                              > these other teams' chances as much or more than Detroit's.
                              >
                              > The Pistons aren't an aging group of players (except Rasheed);
                              > they've added McDyess (who has a nonzero chance of playing);
                              > basically a bunch of guys with perfect chemistry and in their primes.
                              >
                              > Using last year's stats, we don't see the team that rolled over
                              > everyone after Rasheed came. Using the last 1/3 of the season and
                              > playoffs we see That team.

                              Well, I don't know what they see or don't see in Detroit, but one
                              thing that I see is that their bench seems a lot weaker than last
                              year. Their starters are playing 35+ minutes a game and their best
                              reserve seems to be McDyess (which by the way seems a downgrade
                              compared to Okur).
                            • jimmy_purnell
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 10, 2004
                                Good points. If Detroit was projected based on how they played once
                                they got Rasheed, I assume they would fare much better (they went 20-6
                                in the regular season once they got him).

                                And so far, Detroit's bench does look weaker. However, it's definitely
                                too soon to say that for sure as the new players will need time to
                                adjust. That adjustment period could cost them some early season wins,
                                and if the bench remains inferior to last year's Detroit's overall win
                                total might not be as high. But in the playoffs, the bench won't
                                matter much because they will get fewer minutes. Last year, the
                                Pistons won it all despite very poor play from their bench in the
                                playoffs (Williamson and Okur basically disappeared).

                                --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos" <carlosmanuel@b...>
                                wrote:

                                > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...>
                                wrote:
                                > > > KP Tm. JH
                                > > > 49 Dal 56
                                > > > 55 SAS 59
                                > > > 49 Det 52
                                > > > 49 Mem 51
                                > > > 56 Ind 55
                                > > > 51 Uta 47
                                > > > 51 Sac 45
                                > >
                                > > What have these teams done to rate as highly (or better) than the
                                > > seemingly-unbeatable Pistons of last year ?
                                > >
                                > > John Hollinger and Kevin Pelton seem to have spent some time
                                looking
                                > > over the rosters, grinding the data, and tweaking the results with
                                > > rookie forcasts and age-discrimination. And one or both guys
                                likes
                                > > these other teams' chances as much or more than Detroit's.
                                > >
                                > > The Pistons aren't an aging group of players (except Rasheed);
                                > > they've added McDyess (who has a nonzero chance of playing);
                                > > basically a bunch of guys with perfect chemistry and in their
                                primes.

                                > > Using last year's stats, we don't see the team that rolled over
                                > > everyone after Rasheed came. Using the last 1/3 of the season and
                                > > playoffs we see That team.
                                >

                                > Well, I don't know what they see or don't see in Detroit, but one
                                > thing that I see is that their bench seems a lot weaker than last
                                > year. Their starters are playing 35+ minutes a game and their best
                                > reserve seems to be McDyess (which by the way seems a downgrade
                                > compared to Okur).
                              • thedawgsareout
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 11, 2004
                                  > Using last year's stats, we don't see the team that rolled over
                                  > everyone after Rasheed came. Using the last 1/3 of the season and
                                  > playoffs we see That team.

                                  I don't think that's the issue. I rate Detroit's end-of-season
                                  roster at 59 wins last year because they added so much value by
                                  trading spare parts for Rasheed and Mike James.

                                  By comparison, I have Minnesota at 55, Indiana at 51, the Lakers at
                                  48, Sacramento at 56 and San Antonio at 54. So I don't think I'm
                                  underrating the 03-04 Pistons.

                                  > The Pistons aren't an aging group of players (except Rasheed);
                                  > they've added McDyess (who has a nonzero chance of playing);
                                  > basically a bunch of guys with perfect chemistry and in their
                                  > primes.

                                  It's the bench, mostly. I have James and Okur rated as worth a
                                  combined nine wins last year (James had a heck of a year, let's not
                                  forget), Williamson another win and a half.

                                  *Combined*, I have this year's reserves worth 2.3 wins. Now might
                                  they be better than that? Certainly. I think Hunter may be
                                  underrated by his individual traditional stats, while Delfino's
                                  rating is a SWAG and that Antonio McDyess was coming off a knee
                                  injury last year isn't factored in.

                                  Also, only Rasheed amongst Detroit's starters missed more than four
                                  games last year. I conservatively project at most 75 games played,
                                  so that lessens their value a little bit.

                                  > What have these teams done to rate as highly (or better) than the
                                  > seemingly-unbeatable Pistons of last year ?

                                  If I might answer that question in just two words, they would be
                                  Brent. And Barry.
                                • Coach McCormick
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 13, 2004

                                    For less analytical takes on basketball, please chck out my blog:

                                    http://highfivehoopschool.blogspot.com

                                    Do you Yahoo!?
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 15, 2004
                                      Just to agree with everyone else here -- it's the bench. You can see
                                      it already now that they've had an injury or two -- they've got
                                      NOBODY to fill in, whereas last year they had a ton of guys.

                                      McDyess, IMHO, will be exposed as a bust, although I must admit he's
                                      played better than I expected so far. If you look at his stats at the
                                      end of last year in Phoenix, they were nothing, but because people
                                      get all goofy about per game stats the Pistons looked at his last 10
                                      games and talked about him as a double-double guy. Ain't happening.
                                      And he definitely won't replace the production of Okur.

                                      They gave away Williamson and James and replaced them with
                                      replacement-level Ronald Dupree and Delfino, who based on my Euro
                                      conversions looks way over his head offensively.

                                      That leaves:
                                      -- 38-year old Elden Campbell. Useful at times, but a poor man's
                                      McDyess.
                                      -- Kneeless Derrick Coleman. No value.
                                      -- Lindsey Hunter, who is 35, can't play point but forced to be the
                                      backup point guard, and due for a fall after coming off his best year
                                      since leaving Milwaukee
                                      -- Darvin Ham, a locker room guy with the worst jumper in the league.

                                      So instead of James-Williamson-Okur as the three bench guys who see
                                      the most action, the Pistons have Hunter-Delfino-McDyess. That is a
                                      MAJOR downgrade, enough to make Indiana and San Antonio better
                                      choices as the favorite this year.

                                      <kpelton08@h...> wrote:

                                      > > Using last year's stats, we don't see the team that rolled over
                                      > > everyone after Rasheed came. Using the last 1/3 of the season
                                      and
                                      > > playoffs we see That team.
                                      >
                                      > I don't think that's the issue. I rate Detroit's end-of-season
                                      > roster at 59 wins last year because they added so much value by
                                      > trading spare parts for Rasheed and Mike James.
                                      >
                                      > By comparison, I have Minnesota at 55, Indiana at 51, the Lakers at
                                      > 48, Sacramento at 56 and San Antonio at 54. So I don't think I'm
                                      > underrating the 03-04 Pistons.
                                      >
                                      > > The Pistons aren't an aging group of players (except Rasheed);
                                      > > they've added McDyess (who has a nonzero chance of playing);
                                      > > basically a bunch of guys with perfect chemistry and in their
                                      > > primes.
                                      >
                                      > It's the bench, mostly. I have James and Okur rated as worth a
                                      > combined nine wins last year (James had a heck of a year, let's not
                                      > forget), Williamson another win and a half.
                                      >
                                      > *Combined*, I have this year's reserves worth 2.3 wins. Now might
                                      > they be better than that? Certainly. I think Hunter may be
                                      > underrated by his individual traditional stats, while Delfino's
                                      > rating is a SWAG and that Antonio McDyess was coming off a knee
                                      > injury last year isn't factored in.
                                      >
                                      > Also, only Rasheed amongst Detroit's starters missed more than four
                                      > games last year. I conservatively project at most 75 games played,
                                      > so that lessens their value a little bit.
                                      >
                                      > > What have these teams done to rate as highly (or better) than the
                                      > > seemingly-unbeatable Pistons of last year ?
                                      >
                                      > If I might answer that question in just two words, they would be
                                      > Brent. And Barry.
                                    • jimmy_purnell
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 15, 2004
                                        I was wondering about your comments on Delfino. How do you make these
                                        Euro conversions? How accurate have they been in the past? From
                                        watching a few Pistons games so far, he has impressed me on offense.
                                        Obviously his game is still a work in progress, and his jumper has
                                        been poor, but he's been very active and is fearless going to the
                                        hoop. He's had some spectacular drive and dunks. Defense has been his
                                        main problem from what I've seen.

                                        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John Hollinger" <alleyoop2@y...