RE: [APBR_analysis] Statistical Relations

  • Ed Ouellette
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2004
      There are a couple things I can think of right off the bat that are instrumental in determining ERA that aren't considered in those three stats:

      -- unearned runs (since they don't count towards the ERA)
      -- innings pitched (since visiting teams don't pitch the same number of innings in a loss)

      If those two things, along with the earned runs, are equal then the ERA will necessarily be equal as well (unless I'm having a brain cramp).

      Batting average is more clearly coincidental... even earned runs are scored through a variety of ways, and percentage of hits to at bats is just a slice of measuring them.

      Sorry out of time to try to tie this to basketball.

      Ed O.