Normality

  • ivan ivan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2004
      Is the distribution of games won by each team in the NBA over one season normally distributed?

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • igor eduardo küpfer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2004
        ivan ivan wrote:
        > Is the distribution of games won by each team in the NBA over one
        > season normally distributed?

        More or less. Take a look:
        http://members.rogers.com/igorkupfer/stats/winpercentages/WinP.html

        --ed
      • ivan ivan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
          thanks

          igor eduardo k�pfer <edkupfer@...> wrote:
          ivan ivan wrote:
          > Is the distribution of games won by each team in the NBA over one
          > season normally distributed?

          More or less. Take a look:
          http://members.rogers.com/igorkupfer/stats/winpercentages/WinP.html

          --ed

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • wizardskev
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
            For those of us who could be described as stat geeks lite, what's a
            normal distribution? Is that the "bell curve"?

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, ivan ivan <teachermrivan@y...>
            wrote:
            > thanks
            >
            > igor eduardo küpfer <edkupfer@r...> wrote:ivan ivan wrote:
            > > Is the distribution of games won by each team in the NBA over one
            > > season normally distributed?
            >

            > More or less. Take a look:
            > http://members.rogers.com/igorkupfer/stats/winpercentages/WinP.html
            >

            > --ed
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now.
          • igor eduardo küpfer
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2004
              wizardskev wrote:
              > For those of us who could be described as stat geeks lite, what's a
              > normal distribution? Is that the "bell curve"?

              Yes. The normal distribution is also known as Gaussian. It has some special
              properties that make it useful for team sports analysis (for example,
              http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/helpscrn/corrgauss.html), so it is sometimes
              _assumed_ that the distribution of whatever we're looking at is normal, but
              it's occasionally necessary to check if it is.

              --
              ed (also a stat geek lite)