Re: Kirilenko's extension

  • thedawgsareout
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
      > You are correct, sir. Basically, even if the CBA doesn't change at
      > all the Jazz have no incentive to max out Kirilenko right now,
      > because they can just do the same thing a year from now when he's
      > a restricted free agent and it would eliminate some of the risk.
      > But if the contract rules change they could also end up getting
      > the same player on a much better deal a year from now.

      Well, this year I think we do have to at least consider the
      possibility that the NBA changes Restricted Free Agency. You would
      assume players would be grandfathered in, but they weren't in
      the '95 CBA -- Shaquille O'Neal's rookie contract, as I recall,
      originally called for him to be an RFA in the summer of '96, but
      that CBA did away with all RFA and allowed him to be a UFA.

      Now that's an extremely unlikely possibility, but I think you have
      to at least take it into account.