Re: Seattle's Gain

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
      Kevin is a member of the dreaded media ;) I'm working with
      management, the scouts, and coaching staff. And Kevin, of course, is
      great to have around.

      The media here is pretty down on the Sonics this year. I am pleased
      after a couple days with the team's interest in what I'm doing. I'm
      definitely learning styles of communication and what people are
      comfortable with. And, of course, building trust.

      I will say that I love being back on a practice court and diagramming
      plays, too.

      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      "Oliver's book provides an insightful framework for basketball. His
      approach highlights and simplifies the basic goals of team offenses
      and defenses, with an interesting description of how teamwork among
      players with different roles can be evaluated. This book is a unique
      and surprisingly practical addition to a coach's library." Dean
      Smith, Hall of Fame Basketball Coach, University of North Carolina

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick
      <highfivehoopschool@y...> wrote:
      > Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all going
      to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is rooting for
      them.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
        Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is rooting for them.

        [Michael Tamada]  Ahem.

        --MKT

        Good luck.

        Charlie Board <cboard@...> wrote:

        >I got myself a job in the NBA.  Seattle.

        Congratulations, Dean!!!

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • thedawgsareout
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
          > Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all
          > going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is
          > rooting for them.

          I also have a few friends who would take exception to that statement.

          I'm in a weird position of not being entirely claimed by the media
          or the organization; my paychecks are signed by the same people that
          sign Dean's, but when it comes to writing about the team, I'm
          basically treated the same as the rest of the media.

          I have about as much influence on player personnel moves for the
          Sonics as anyone else in this group has, but it is true that between
          Dean consulting and me writing articles like this (
          http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/Uncovering_Diamonds_in_the_Rou-118797-
          51.html ) for the Web site, the Sonics are the most stat-geeky team
          in the league.
        • Coach McCormick
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2004
            Have you seen the stuff people like espn are writing about the sonics? i'm sure there are some starbuck's afficionados who root for the team, and a Jesus Shuttlesworth fan here and there, and the contingent of Ducks who believe Luke has the force, and probably some Iowans who love Collison even though he broke their hearts, but it's hard to find many more outside these small pockets of the faithful.

            Sorry to offend, however.

            thedawgsareout <kpelton08@...> wrote:

            > Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all
            > going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is
            > rooting for them.

            I also have a few friends who would take exception to that statement.

            I'm in a weird position of not being entirely claimed by the media
            or the organization; my paychecks are signed by the same people that
            sign Dean's, but when it comes to writing about the team, I'm
            basically treated the same as the rest of the media.

            I have about as much influence on player personnel moves for the
            Sonics as anyone else in this group has, but it is true that between
            Dean consulting and me writing articles like this (
            http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/Uncovering_Diamonds_in_the_Rou-118797-
            51.html ) for the Web site, the Sonics are the most stat-geeky team
            in the league.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Daniel Dickey
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 2004
              I know I am really late here - but congrats DeanO!

              I hope you can help that franchise in the great northwest. I'm sure you can.

              I may fly down from Anchorage and catch a couple Sonic games this
              season - what the heck.

              Dan

              danthestatman@...