Seattle's Gain

  • Charlie Board
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
      >I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle.

      Congratulations, Dean!!!
    • Coach McCormick
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
        Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is rooting for them.

        Good luck.

        Charlie Board <cboard@...> wrote:

        >I got myself a job in the NBA.  Seattle.

        Congratulations, Dean!!!

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
          Kevin is a member of the dreaded media ;) I'm working with
          management, the scouts, and coaching staff. And Kevin, of course, is
          great to have around.

          The media here is pretty down on the Sonics this year. I am pleased
          after a couple days with the team's interest in what I'm doing. I'm
          definitely learning styles of communication and what people are
          comfortable with. And, of course, building trust.

          I will say that I love being back on a practice court and diagramming
          plays, too.

          Author, Basketball on Paper
          http://www.basketballonpaper.com
          "Oliver's book provides an insightful framework for basketball. His
          approach highlights and simplifies the basic goals of team offenses
          and defenses, with an interesting description of how teamwork among
          players with different roles can be evaluated. This book is a unique
          and surprisingly practical addition to a coach's library." Dean
          Smith, Hall of Fame Basketball Coach, University of North Carolina

          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Coach McCormick

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
            Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is rooting for them.

            [Michael Tamada]  Ahem.

            --MKT

            Good luck.

            Charlie Board <cboard@...> wrote:

            >I got myself a job in the NBA.  Seattle.

            Congratulations, Dean!!!

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • thedawgsareout
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
              > Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all
              > going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is
              > rooting for them.

              I also have a few friends who would take exception to that statement.

              I'm in a weird position of not being entirely claimed by the media
              or the organization; my paychecks are signed by the same people that
              sign Dean's, but when it comes to writing about the team, I'm
              basically treated the same as the rest of the media.

              I have about as much influence on player personnel moves for the
              Sonics as anyone else in this group has, but it is true that between
              Dean consulting and me writing articles like this (
              http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/Uncovering_Diamonds_in_the_Rou-118797-
              51.html ) for the Web site, the Sonics are the most stat-geeky team
              in the league.
            • Coach McCormick
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2004
                Have you seen the stuff people like espn are writing about the sonics? i'm sure there are some starbuck's afficionados who root for the team, and a Jesus Shuttlesworth fan here and there, and the contingent of Ducks who believe Luke has the force, and probably some Iowans who love Collison even though he broke their hearts, but it's hard to find many more outside these small pockets of the faithful.

                Sorry to offend, however.

                thedawgsareout <kpelton08@...> wrote:

                > Does that mean you're working with Kevin Pelton too? We're all
                > going to have to be Sonics fans now; Heaven knows nobody else is
                > rooting for them.

                I also have a few friends who would take exception to that statement.

                I'm in a weird position of not being entirely claimed by the media
                or the organization; my paychecks are signed by the same people that
                sign Dean's, but when it comes to writing about the team, I'm
                basically treated the same as the rest of the media.

                I have about as much influence on player personnel moves for the
                Sonics as anyone else in this group has, but it is true that between
                Dean consulting and me writing articles like this (
                http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/Uncovering_Diamonds_in_the_Rou-118797-
                51.html ) for the Web site, the Sonics are the most stat-geeky team
                in the league.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Daniel Dickey
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 18, 2004
                  I know I am really late here - but congrats DeanO!

                  I hope you can help that franchise in the great northwest. I'm sure you can.

                  I may fly down from Anchorage and catch a couple Sonic games this
                  season - what the heck.

                  Dan

                  danthestatman@...