RE: [APBR_analysis] question

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      You can deduce this easily.

      Each team plays 82 games.

      There are 29 teams in the league.

      Q1:  How many games is that?

      Q2:  Because I just counted Seattle's game at Golden State, and simultaneously counted Golden State hosting Seattle, I have double-counted every game.  So what adjustment should I make to the figure in Q1?

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
        This reminds me of an interesting (at least to me) thought experiment on how to answer this question: how many games are there in a 64 team, single-elimination tournament (like the good ol' version of the NCAA men's basketball tourney). There are at least three ways to answer this, and while each arrives at the same answer, one is clearly easiest:

        -- draw out the bracket and count the games
        -- do some math, adding together each of the rounds: 32+16+8+4+2+1
        -- think about the fact that every game eliminates a team, and every team but one gets eliminated.

        Not terribly related to the NBA or basketball, but anyways...

        Ed O.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
          30 teams this season with Charlotte entering the league.

          Since every team plays 82 games, and always must have an opponent,
          wouldn't it be (30 x 82)/2? That comes out to 1230, though I'm not
          sure that I'm correct. (I'm more of a math fan than a
          mathmetician.) :)

          > You can deduce this easily.
          >
          > Each team plays 82 games.
          >
          > There are 29 teams in the league.
          >
          > Q1: How many games is that?
          >
          > Q2: Because I just counted Seattle's game at Golden State, and
          simultaneously counted Golden State hosting Seattle, I have double-
          counted every game. So what adjustment should I make to the figure
          in Q1?

          > --MKT

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ehurcq/M=294855.5468653.6549235.30011
          76/D=groups/S=1705066992:HM/EXP=1097108899/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jv
          c/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2376776/rand=927114
          916>

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
            Yup to both of your points.

            30 teams this season with Charlotte entering the league.

            Since every team plays 82 games, and always must have an opponent,
            wouldn't it be (30 x 82)/2? That comes out to 1230, though I'm not
            sure that I'm correct. (I'm more of a math fan than a
            mathmetician.) :)

            > You can deduce this easily.
            >
            > Each team plays 82 games.
            >
            > There are 29 teams in the league.
            >
            > Q1: How many games is that?
            >
            > Q2: Because I just counted Seattle's game at Golden State, and
            simultaneously counted Golden State hosting Seattle, I have double-
            counted every game. So what adjustment should I make to the figure
            in Q1?

            > --MKT

            Yahoo! Groups Links