Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: 2nd year improvement ?

  • igor eduardo küpfer
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
      Dean Oliver wrote:

      > Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...
      >
      > I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much influence
      > I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
      > quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
      > though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
      > want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've got
      > approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
      > feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....
      >
      > I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.
      >
      > DeanO

      Best of luck Dean. Feed us some crumbs if you can.

      ed
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
        The first thing you need to tell them is, "I don't who McMillan's
        talking about, because I only worry about Dean Oliver." Then maybe
        you can get into a fight with Joe Forte in the shower.

        Best of luck with the new gig,

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
          Jerome James's quote was one of the all-time NBA
          howlers. If Terry Pluto ever does an updated
          version of _Tall Tales_ it has to be in it.

          The first thing you need to tell them is, "I don't who McMillan's
          talking about, because I only worry about Dean Oliver." Then maybe
          you can get into a fight with Joe Forte in the shower.

          Best of luck with the new gig,

          John

          > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gabrielandjared@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Is the improvement between first year rookies and second year
          players
          > > quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured the average
          > > improvement in the major statistical categories for 2nd year
          players?

          > > I realize that with the change in age and experience(the increase
          in
          > > foreign and high school players, and the drop in the number of
          college
          > > seniors), that the numbers would be different now than ten years
          > > ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math on this?
          > >

          > Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...
          >
          > I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much
          influence
          > I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
          > quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
          > though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
          > want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've
          got
          > approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
          > feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....
          >
          > I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.
          >
          > DeanO
          >
          > Dean Oliver
          > Author, Basketball on Paper
          > http://www.basketballonpaper.com
          > "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh perspective. If you
          > want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for you. You'll
          > never watch a game the same way again. We use his stuff and it
          helps
          > us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
            > Jerome James's quote was one of the all-time NBA
            > howlers. If Terry Pluto ever does an updated
            > version of _Tall Tales_ it has to be in it.

            What was that ?

            Is this turning into the Sonic insider joint ?

            DeanO: Hope all the tough questions are some use to you in the new
            arena.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004