Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: 2nd year improvement ?

  • GDavis8848@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
      In a message dated 10/5/2004 1:52:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, deano@... writes:
      I really
      want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps.  I've got
      approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
      feeling out what that material is.  But I'm not there yet....

      I'll definitely be quieter here.  Keep up the good research.

      Nooooooo!   Congratulations!!!  Nooooooooooooooo!  What a loss for us.
      Congratulations !!!!  Nooooooooooooooooooo ...

      Really, congrats!
    • Leo Walsh
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
        Congrats on the new position with Seattle, Dean.

        We'll miss your input to the boards but it will be
        interesting to see how Seattle improves over the next
        coming years.

        Will Seatlle be the Oakland A's of basketball? Time
        will only tell.

        --- Dean Oliver <deano@...> wrote:

        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Greg"
        > <gabrielandjared@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Is the improvement between first year rookies and
        > second year players
        > > quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured
        > the average
        > > improvement in the major statistical categories
        > for 2nd year players?
        > >
        > > I realize that with the change in age and
        > experience(the increase in
        > > foreign and high school players, and the drop in
        > the number of college
        > > seniors), that the numbers would be different now
        > than ten years
        > > ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math
        > on this?
        > >

        > Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...
        >
        > I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see
        > how much influence
        > I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before
        > and it could be
        > quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things
        > like this because,
        > though I've done the work and there are measurable
        > effects, I really
        > want to win and holding onto info like this probably
        > helps. I've got
        > approval to do some research and writing for public,
        > and we'll be
        > feeling out what that material is. But I'm not
        > there yet....
        >
        > I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good
        > research.
        >
        > DeanO
        >
        > Dean Oliver
        > Author, Basketball on Paper
        > http://www.basketballonpaper.com
        > "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh
        > perspective. If you
        > want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for
        > you. You'll
        > never watch a game the same way again. We use his
        > stuff and it helps
        > us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • McKibbin, Stuart
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
          Good luck and best wishes, DeanO. The Sonics need some help.
          Stuart

          > Is the improvement between first year rookies and second year players
          > quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured the average
          > improvement in the major statistical categories for 2nd year players?
          >
          > I realize that with the change in age and experience(the increase in
          > foreign and high school players, and the drop in the number of college
          > seniors), that the numbers would be different now than ten years
          > ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math on this?

          Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...

          I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much influence
          I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
          quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
          though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
          want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've got
          approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
          feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....

          I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.

          Author, Basketball on Paper
          http://www.basketballonpaper.com
          "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh perspective. If you
          want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for you. You'll
          never watch a game the same way again. We use his stuff and it helps
          us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • igor eduardo küpfer
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
            Dean Oliver wrote:

            > Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...
            >
            > I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much influence
            > I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
            > quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
            > though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
            > want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've got
            > approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
            > feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....
            >
            > I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.
            >
            > DeanO

            Best of luck Dean. Feed us some crumbs if you can.

            ed
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
              The first thing you need to tell them is, "I don't who McMillan's
              talking about, because I only worry about Dean Oliver." Then maybe
              you can get into a fight with Joe Forte in the shower.

              Best of luck with the new gig,

              John

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
                Jerome James's quote was one of the all-time NBA
                howlers. If Terry Pluto ever does an updated
                version of _Tall Tales_ it has to be in it.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
                  > Jerome James's quote was one of the all-time NBA
                  > howlers. If Terry Pluto ever does an updated
                  > version of _Tall Tales_ it has to be in it.

                  What was that ?

                  Is this turning into the Sonic insider joint ?

                  DeanO: Hope all the tough questions are some use to you in the new
                  arena.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004