2nd year improvement ?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
      Is the improvement between first year rookies and second year players
      quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured the average
      improvement in the major statistical categories for 2nd year players?

      I realize that with the change in age and experience(the increase in
      foreign and high school players, and the drop in the number of college
      seniors), that the numbers would be different now than ten years
      ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math on this?

      -Greg
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gabrielandjared@y...> wrote:

        > Is the improvement between first year rookies and second year players
        > quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured the average
        > improvement in the major statistical categories for 2nd year players?
        >
        > I realize that with the change in age and experience(the increase in
        > foreign and high school players, and the drop in the number of college
        > seniors), that the numbers would be different now than ten years
        > ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math on this?

        Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...

        I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much influence
        I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
        quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
        though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
        want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've got
        approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
        feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....

        I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.

        Author, Basketball on Paper
        http://www.basketballonpaper.com
        "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh perspective. If you
        want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for you. You'll
        never watch a game the same way again. We use his stuff and it helps
        us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics
      • GDavis8848@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
          In a message dated 10/5/2004 1:52:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, deano@... writes:
          I really
          want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps.  I've got
          approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
          feeling out what that material is.  But I'm not there yet....

          I'll definitely be quieter here.  Keep up the good research.

          Nooooooo!   Congratulations!!!  Nooooooooooooooo!  What a loss for us.
          Congratulations !!!!  Nooooooooooooooooooo ...

          Really, congrats!
        • Leo Walsh
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
            Congrats on the new position with Seattle, Dean.

            We'll miss your input to the boards but it will be
            interesting to see how Seattle improves over the next
            coming years.

            Will Seatlle be the Oakland A's of basketball? Time
            will only tell.

            --- Dean Oliver <deano@...> wrote:

            > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Greg"
            > <gabrielandjared@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Is the improvement between first year rookies and
            > second year players
            > > quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured
            > the average
            > > improvement in the major statistical categories
            > for 2nd year players?
            > >
            > > I realize that with the change in age and
            > experience(the increase in
            > > foreign and high school players, and the drop in
            > the number of college
            > > seniors), that the numbers would be different now
            > than ten years
            > > ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math
            > on this?
            > >

            > Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...
            >
            > I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see
            > how much influence
            > I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before
            > and it could be
            > quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things
            > like this because,
            > though I've done the work and there are measurable
            > effects, I really
            > want to win and holding onto info like this probably
            > helps. I've got
            > approval to do some research and writing for public,
            > and we'll be
            > feeling out what that material is. But I'm not
            > there yet....
            >
            > I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good
            > research.
            >
            > DeanO
            >
            > Dean Oliver
            > Author, Basketball on Paper
            > http://www.basketballonpaper.com
            > "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh
            > perspective. If you
            > want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for
            > you. You'll
            > never watch a game the same way again. We use his
            > stuff and it helps
            > us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • McKibbin, Stuart
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
              Good luck and best wishes, DeanO. The Sonics need some help.
              Stuart

              > Is the improvement between first year rookies and second year players
              > quantifiable? In other words, has anyone figured the average
              > improvement in the major statistical categories for 2nd year players?
              >
              > I realize that with the change in age and experience(the increase in
              > foreign and high school players, and the drop in the number of college
              > seniors), that the numbers would be different now than ten years
              > ago...so I am curious if anyone has done the math on this?

              Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...

              I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much influence
              I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
              quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
              though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
              want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've got
              approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
              feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....

              I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.

              Author, Basketball on Paper
              http://www.basketballonpaper.com
              "Dean Oliver looks at basketball with a fresh perspective. If you
              want a new way to analyze the game, this book is for you. You'll
              never watch a game the same way again. We use his stuff and it helps
              us." Yvan Kelly, Scout, Seattle Sonics

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • igor eduardo küpfer
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
                Dean Oliver wrote:

                > Kind of a clumsy way to do this, but I gotta...
                >
                > I got myself a job in the NBA. Seattle. We'll see how much influence
                > I have, but it's a lot more than I ever had before and it could be
                > quite a lot. As a result, I can't answer things like this because,
                > though I've done the work and there are measurable effects, I really
                > want to win and holding onto info like this probably helps. I've got
                > approval to do some research and writing for public, and we'll be
                > feeling out what that material is. But I'm not there yet....
                >
                > I'll definitely be quieter here. Keep up the good research.
                >
                > DeanO

                Best of luck Dean. Feed us some crumbs if you can.

                ed
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
                  The first thing you need to tell them is, "I don't who McMillan's
                  talking about, because I only worry about Dean Oliver." Then maybe
                  you can get into a fight with Joe Forte in the shower.

                  Best of luck with the new gig,

                  John

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
                    Jerome James's quote was one of the all-time NBA
                    howlers. If Terry Pluto ever does an updated
                    version of _Tall Tales_ it has to be in it.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
                      > Jerome James's quote was one of the all-time NBA
                      > howlers. If Terry Pluto ever does an updated
                      > version of _Tall Tales_ it has to be in it.

                      What was that ?

                      Is this turning into the Sonic insider joint ?

                      DeanO: Hope all the tough questions are some use to you in the new
                      arena.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004