Kutluay

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2004
      Since there's a lot of Seattle-area folks on this board, anyone want
      to enlighten me on what the Sonics were thinking by signing this guy?
      His European stats are beyond unimpressive, he can't play defense and
      his one alleged skill (3-pointers) is the one thing the Sonics have
      in spades. I'm speechless.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2004
        On the Sonics email list, we can't make sense of it either. One
        thing about the 3-point shooting: the Sonics did lose Barry
        and Frahm, their two best 3-point shooters.

        Frahm didn't play much anyway, but we're not expecting Kutluay
        to do much either. In that sense he can be viewed as a direct
        replacement for Frahm. Except of course that Kutluay is older
        and was given a 2-year contract. The Sonics are at least two
        years away from being highly competitive, so they need new young
        players with high upside potential, or else dirt cheap players
        who don't take away salary cap flexibility. At age 30 and a
        reported $3.4M two-year contract, Kutluay is neither. But he
        doesn't break the bank.