Re: Differences between young Americans and young foreign players

    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "doc319" <doc319@y...> wrote:
      > This is almost exactly the point that I have been making over in
      > APBR. I suggested that Argentina would be lucky to win 20 games in
      > the NBA as an expansion team, but we agree on the larger point:
      > Argentina's team is assembled for the purpose of winning the
      > Olympics under FIBA rules and if the U.S. wants to win Olympic
      > titles under FIBA rules then it has to assemble the team accordingly
      > and give the team adequate preparation time under those rules.
      > Argentina and the other teams would struggle as much or more under
      > NBA rules as Team USA did under FIBA rules, but if the U.S. wants to
      > win in the Olympics then the U.S. has to adjust to FIBA rules.

      One thing I'd like to point out with all this consideration of
      adapting to rules is that it works both ways. If we reason that it
      would take a little while for Americans to get used to International
      Rules, then we should consider that some of these Europeans who
      supposedly "haven't worked out" in the NBA just weren't given enough
      time. Looking at some of the foreign players, many of them did take a
      couple years to get as good as they have become.

      Frankly, international rules seem fine to me. Exciting basketball. A
      bit more offense. Definitely a lot of good interior passing. Not
      sure why interior passing is so rare in the US. The trapezoidal lane
      doesn't explain it unless you stretch your arguments a long ways.

      Author, Basketball on Paper
      http://www.basketballonpaper.com
      "Oliver's book provides an insightful framework for basketball. His
      approach highlights and simplifies the basic goals of team offenses
      and defenses, with an interesting description of how teamwork among
      players with different roles can be evaluated. This book is a unique
      and surprisingly practical addition to a coach's library." Dean
      Smith, Hall of Fame Basketball Coach, University of North Carolina

      > > Yet, I agree that the USA is unlikely to be a prohibitive favorite
      > in
      > > international competition.
      > >
      > > Why the difference? Several factors, all of them mentioned before
      > > by others, one of the most important being the one you mention
      > > above (in the underlined section) -- the unfamiliar rules. Add
      > > Argentina as the 31st team in the NBA, and my guess is they'd win
      > > maybe 35 games at best. Partly due to the rule differences.
      > >
      > > But of course Argentina is not contending for the NBA championship.
      > > The US is trying to contend for Olympic championships, and facing
      > the
      > > attendant disadvantages.
      > >
      > > But, the reason why the US is not the prohibitive favorite, is not
      > due
      > > to lack of overwhelming talent, not solely anyway. The talent
      > gap,
      > > though unquestionably eroding, is still large. It's the other
      > factors,
      > > such as rule differences, lack of national team training, etc.
      > which are
      > > also important.
      > >
      > > So talent level <> Olympic destiny, or for that matter NBA destiny
      > as
      > > the Pistons proved to the Lakers. The phrase "In other words"
      > leaves
      > > out the role of these other important factors, above and beyond
      > talent.
      > >

      > > --MKT
    • doc319
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 1, 2004
        Just to clarify, I agree that the adapting to rules scenario works
        both ways. My point was that I think that it was actually an
        impressive achievement for this thrown together NBA team to win a
        bronze medal under FIBA rules because I doubt that any of the
        foreign teams could do the equivalent in the NBA on such short
        notice. Certainly, many foreign players can adapt to the NBA given
        time, just as the NBA team showed improvement over the course of the
        Olympics, beating both teams that were 5-0 in pool play.

        > One thing I'd like to point out with all this consideration of
        > adapting to rules is that it works both ways. If we reason that it
        > would take a little while for Americans to get used to
        International
        > Rules, then we should consider that some of these Europeans who
        > supposedly "haven't worked out" in the NBA just weren't given
        enough
        > time. Looking at some of the foreign players, many of them did
        take a
        > couple years to get as good as they have become.

        Other than the shaky officiating--and getting past the frustration
        of seeing the U.S. team struggle at times--FIBA ball is entertaining
        to watch.