Who is the next Micheal Redd?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 11, 2004
      From last years rookie class, who do you folks feel is the guy who is
      going to breakout in the next few years but hasnt done so yet? Modest
      statistics and minutes last year are the criteria...

      My nomination is David West. He is skilled, has a mean streak, and
      played well in limited minutes. Aging PJ Brown is in front of him, and
      should start to give up more and more minutes to him. He rebounds,
      defends decently, and has a polished offensive game from his time at
      Xavier.

      If we look at guys who barely ever got out on the court but could have
      an impact in future years (like Redd, who never saw the light of day
      his rookie year), I've been somewhat impressed with Keith McLeod.
      Whether he ends up getting any minutes is anyones guess, but hes my
      deep deep sleeper of the group.
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 20, 2004
        <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
        > Personally, I'd take Sweetney without thinking twice about it. I had
        > him rated higher than Frahm even last year, and as I think we
        > discussed, Frahm's numbers change quite a bit if you throw out that
        > 31-point game. Additionally, while neither is much of a defender,
        > Sweetney is certainly the more valuable of the two at that end.
        > Finally, Sweetney is five years younger.
        >
        > Dean mentioned that Frahm may get more playing time this year, which
        > certainly is plausible, but keep in mind his contract isn't
        > guaranteed until he makes the team, which tells me Portland is going
        > to keep shopping for somebody better. Also, they have this misguided
        > idea that Qyntel Woods can play, so he's possibly going to take a lot
        > of minutes that would otherwise go to Frahm.

        I will admit that my perception of Frahm and Sweetney is a bit tied to
        what I saw in summer leagues and I don't yet know how to translate
        summer league stuff. Both looked pretty good, but Frahm surprised me
        more and didn't seem to be taking advantage of the weaker competition
        as much (Sweetney drew tons of fouls in a foul-laden league). (Qyntel
        Woods didn't look that good to me, but most people surrounding me felt
        like he looked good.)

        Number-wise, even if I remove Frahm's 31 pt night, his ability to
        shoot the ball is very impressive. In games where he played 10+
        minutes, he was a positive player, even if you throw out that 31 pt
        night. If I look only at nights where he used 17+% of team
        possessions, he's still a positive player if you throw out the 31 pt
        night. I've had luck picking this kind of player before. Still, I
        need to do some analysis to figure out what's sustainable and sample
        size is small.

        The 31 pt night was quite the anomaly for Frahm. It was quite the
        anomaly for anyone. I can't find many nights like that for players.
        Tony Delk's 53 pt blow up a few years ago is close. Uncle Cliffy had
        one in 2000, too, that was pretty different from what you'd expect.

        Author, Basketball on Paper
        http://www.basketballonpaper.com
        When basketball teams start playing Moneyball, this is the book
        they'll use!