What happened to Bonzi Wells?

  • nickouli5
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6 10:25 AM
      I noticed that earlier in his career he was an excellent super-sub
      for the Portland Trailblazers.

      In his third season his PER was around 18.90 and he was 26.6mpg and
      getting 12.7ppg 4.9rpg 2.8apg on a PSA of 1.142!

      He also had a nice follow up season of 17ppg 6.0rpg 2.8apg at a PSA
      of 1.076. Very solid. He was a great rebounding guard and a very
      efficient scorer etc...

      Question is why have his numbers dropped off so greatly? I heard he
      was playing out of position at times, but still -- with his size,
      scoring efficiency, and talent he still should have managed to be
      well over a PSA of 1 and .95 (his last two seasons PSA's).

      What happened here? Is their a chance that some super-sub's become
      ordinary players if they get 30mpg+, or if a player plays on a team
      without chemistry and plays out of position at times he can be
      rendered mediocre?
    • bchaikin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6 11:46 AM
        I noticed that earlier in his career he was an excellent super-sub for the Portland Trailblazers. In his third season his PER was around 18.90 and he was 26.6mpg and
        getting 12.7ppg 4.9rpg 2.8apg on a PSA of 1.142!

        He also had a nice follow up season of 17ppg 6.0rpg 2.8apg at a PSA of 1.076.  Very solid.  He was a great rebounding guard and a very efficient scorer etc...

        Question is why have his numbers dropped off so greatly?  I heard he was playing out of position at times, but still -- with his size, scoring efficiency, and talent he still should have managed to be well over a PSA of 1 and .95 (his last two seasons PSA's).

        What happened here?  Is their a chance that some super-sub's become ordinary players if they get 30mpg+, or if a player plays on a team without chemistry and plays out of position at times he can be rendered mediocre?

        bonzi's scoring FG% (combines 2pters, 3pters, and FTs) in 2000-01 was .561, when the league average scoring FG% was .510. its trickled down the past 3 years to the point where in this recently past 2003-04 campaign in memphis his scoring FG% was down to .483 when the league average was .508. so he went from being an efficient scorer to being inefficient...

        he has handled the ball about the same (1.05 to 1.20 touches/min the past 5 seasons) each year he's been in the league. he's gotten fouled on 9%-10% of his touches each season too, except for his short stint in portland in 03-04 (just 13 games). he's always turned the ball over with about 7%-8% of his touches, which is high for an SG, but last season it was up over 8%. shooting worse and turning the ball over more isn't conducive to warranting more playing time, unless you're a stellar defender, which wells isn't...

        wells plays SG/SF and with both james posey and shane battier being better defenders, shooting much better, turning the ball over less, and playing the same positions (not to mention mike miller), he lost out on any serious PT with the grizzlies...

        bob chaikin
        bchaikin@...

      • tajallie@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6 12:30 PM
          Bob,

          I was counting on you to actually say Wells stats hadn't changed much
          on a per touch basis, although his role had. Guess that wasn't
          true . . . 'course I did notice that he played with Sabonis in 2000
          and 2001. Hmm, I wonder if his shot opp changed?

          PS. Where do you get the touches per minute stats and/or time with
          ball stats?

          Wells did seem to significantly improve his outside shooting during
          his recovery time from his knee injury but in the last two years it
          seemed like attitude played a pretty significant role in his decline
          (and maybe lingering injuries). His high scoring eff with the Blazers
          in his early career had alot to do with hustle and offensive rebs (a
          rate which has declined over past three years). I bet in the right
          system he would still be an efficient scorer (if you can live with
          his turnovers - i.e. keep the ball out of his hands).

        • nickouli5
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6 1:12 PM
            I am not just talking about going to the Grizzles.

            He still had a relatively poor season in 0203 compared to his
            previous seasons where he showed some promise.

            How could he just drop off the charts so fast, after having such a
            nice PER and overall efficiency?
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 3:33 PM
              Wells blew out his knee in the last week of the 2000-01 season and
              hasn't been the same since. In 01-02 he made up for it by shooting
              unusually well from outside, but since then he's reverted to form and
              as a result isn't the same kind of threat.

              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "nickouli5" <NikoTMP@g...>
              wrote:
              > I am not just talking about going to the Grizzles.
              >
              > He still had a relatively poor season in 0203 compared to his
              > previous seasons where he showed some promise.
              >
              > How could he just drop off the charts so fast, after having such a
              > nice PER and overall efficiency?
            • bchaikin1
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7 6:58 AM
                I was counting on you to actually say Wells stats hadn't changed much
                on a per touch basis, although his role had. Guess that wasn't
                true . . . 'course I did notice that he played with Sabonis in 2000
                and 2001. Hmm, I wonder if his shot opp changed?

                PS. Where do you get the touches per minute stats and/or time with
                ball stats?

                touches/min are calculated from team and player stats...

                i don't have or calculate any "...time with the ball..." stats...

                bob chaikin
                bchaikin@...
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7 1:32 PM
                  wrote:
                  > I noticed that earlier in his career he was an excellent super-sub
                  > for the Portland Trailblazers.
                  > Question is why have his numbers dropped off so greatly?
                  > What happened here? Is their a chance that some super-sub's
                  become
                  > ordinary players if they get 30mpg+, or if a player plays on a
                  team
                  > without chemistry and plays out of position at times he can be
                  > rendered mediocre?

                  Anything can happen to anyone, as far as we can tell.

                  Here's my chart of Bonzi:

                  yr min eff% sco reb ast - total
                  00 18 .533 17.1 5.2 2.7 - 24.9
                  01 27 .561 19.1 6.9 3.8 - 29.6
                  02 32 .530 20.6 7.6 3.3 - 31.3
                  03 32 .503 18.1 6.7 3.9 - 28.3
                  04 26 .474 16.4 4.9 2.7 - 22.3

                  While his eff% has dropped since yr 2, his scoring and rebounding
                  peaked the following year. Year 4 wasn't so bad it could be called
                  a bust year; but this last season was.

                  Still, one truly bad year doesn't indicate an imminent end to his
                  effectiveness. I predict he will rebound to somewhere between
                  his '02 and '03 showings; but this might require a change of venue.

                  Scoring is still his forte. In Memphis he didn't do much boarding
                  or passing. And as has been noted, his turnovers are mysteriously
                  getting worse, despite lowered production in all other areas.