Re: Sonic-Blazer Game Early 1990's

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004

      Thanks. That was the game I was thinking of, only I thought it was
      the next season. I guess I should have remembered since the game came
      during Portland opening 19-1 season start. As opposed to the last
      hurrah, I should have said the beginging of the Seattle run. They had
      pretty consistent improvement from that point on and losing to what
      was to become 63 win Porland team during a 19-1 stretch in triple OT
      is not that bad.

      <edkupfer@r...> wrote:
      > tajallie@h... wrote:
      > > Kevin,
      > >
      > > I know you are Sonic fan and that you read Bill Simmons . .so I
      > > wanted to send him a recommendation of Portland-Seattle regular
      > > season game from the early 90's for NBA TV. Not sure if you
      > > it since Portland beat the Seattle - in triple/doule OT but it was
      > > the basically the Blazers last hurrah in Pacific NW basketball. I
      > > think Porter hit a 35 footer to send it into the second OT. I
      > > Seattle beat Portland three or four times the next season as
      > > Kemp/Payton began to come of age. Don't suppose you recall that
      > >
      > I found a contemporary description of that game, which took place
      on Dec 1
      > 1990, by John Gossman on usenet: http://shorl.com/gugoprodrafipro
      > Saturday night the Sonics and Blazers played in Seattle one of the
      > exciting, wildest basketball games I have ever seen. In the end
      > won 130-124 to go 13-1, while the Sonics fell to a heart breaking 4-
      8 as
      > they start out on a five game eastern road trip. They'll be tired
      when they
      > show up in the Garden Monday night.
      > Sonics led almost the entire game, usually by more than 6 but less
      than 12
      > points. Xavier McDaniel was the main man on offense: he eventually
      > finished with 41 points, 6 assists, and a handfull of rebounds and
      > Defense was the key though. The normally hot shooting Blazers were
      held to
      > 42% for the game, even though they shot well in the 4th period and
      parts of
      > the overtimes. Going into the final quarter the Sonics were
      leading by 14
      > and seemed in good position.
      > In the fourth quarter the Sonics had one of their common offensive
      > breakdowns, characterized by poor shooting, turnovers, and an
      inability to
      > run a half-court offense. Portland charged back to lead by 2, then
      > teams traded the lead until the final seconds. The Sonics led 96-
      95 when
      > Kersey drove to the basket, several players went to the floor
      > McKey but not Kersey) and Kersey put up a layin but missed and time
      ran out.
      > However, McKey was called for his 6th foul and Kersey went to the
      line to
      > hit one and miss one and tie the game. The replay showed that
      McKey was
      > nowhere near Kersey, and the only possible call was against Michael
      > (who had 2 fouls) and that was questionable. Anyway, considering
      > comeback, Portland deserved another shot.
      > To my surprise the Sonics came out in the OT and led from buzzer
      to buzzer,
      > by as much as six at one point. Portland came back again. Porter
      > McDaniel did most of the scoring again, and with 12 seconds left
      trailed by
      > 2. There followed a wild sequence that started with Porter driving
      > two blocked shots and a missed put back then a tip to the corner
      where it
      > was saved by Sedale Threatt, back to Cage and Williams in the
      > tipped to courtside where it was saved by Kemp, to Kersey and
      McDaniel who
      > fought over it and stopped the clock with a foul on X. Kersey then
      shoved X
      > (the refs missed X's little bump on Jerome) and was called for a T,
      > Sedale sunk on the other end. Portland trailed by 3 with 2 seconds
      > The inbounds went to Porter, who was clearly fouled by Gary
      Payton. The two
      > scrambled for the ball just outside the 3 point line, and Porter
      got off a
      > miracle shot, lifting the ball from the floor and up into the air
      as the
      > buzzer sounded. It went in. The refs counted it. The replay
      > clearly showed that the ball was still only waist high when the
      clock hit 0.
      > No matter, 2nd OT. By the way, the Sonics top bench player, Shawn
      > fouled out in the OT.
      > In the second OT the Sonics again pulled away. Gary Payton and
      > Threatt provided most of the scoring, while Cage was scooping up
      rebounds to
      > the final tune of 15. Ahead by four with 8 seconds left, Payton
      > Ainge on Portland's inbounds. Ainge hit the FTs and Gary was
      gone. Then
      > Portland stole the Sonics inbound and scored an easy layup to tie
      > Cage missed a short, off-balance jumper to win the game with .9
      > Third OT. Sonics are playing three guards -- McMillan, Threatt,
      > Barros, along with X and Cage and Polynice and Dailey coming in for
      > D and instant O. With the Sonics shot blockers (Kemp and McKey)
      and best
      > defender (Payton) out, Porter and Drexler took it to the hoop,
      while the
      > Sonics couldn't quite hit their shots. The Sonics were able to eek
      out a
      > four point lead, then fell apart down the stretch to lose.
      > Porter had 38 for Portland. The game was so late no box scores
      are out, so
      > I don't know much more. Kersey had at least 19, Williams and
      Duckworth were
      > not factors. Robinson played well, especially defensively. For the
      > Gary Payton had 8 assists and at least 12 points, including some
      > drives inside at crunch time. Threatt had a least 15, and Shawn
      Kemp had
      > only 6 points, but 9 rebounds and a number of key blocks. Biggest
      > was the usual (for the Sonics). Portland was 35-40, while the
      Sonics were
      > only 19-21 from the FT line. Sonics also severely lacked from 3-
      point range
      > (last two years they led the NBA in 3 pointers. Come back Dale all
      > forgiven :-)).
      > A very, very exciting game. The Sonics could have really used
      this win to
      > push them to 5-7 and give them some momentum going back east.
      Instead they