Sonic-Blazer Game Early 1990's

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2004
      Kevin,

      I know you are Sonic fan and that you read Bill Simmons . .so I
      wanted to send him a recommendation of Portland-Seattle regular
      season game from the early 90's for NBA TV. Not sure if you remember
      it since Portland beat the Seattle - in triple/doule OT but it was
      the basically the Blazers last hurrah in Pacific NW basketball. I
      think Porter hit a 35 footer to send it into the second OT. I think
      Seattle beat Portland three or four times the next season as
      Kemp/Payton began to come of age. Don't suppose you recall that game?
    • igor eduardo küpfer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2004
        tajallie@... wrote:
        > Kevin,
        >
        > I know you are Sonic fan and that you read Bill Simmons . .so I
        > wanted to send him a recommendation of Portland-Seattle regular
        > season game from the early 90's for NBA TV. Not sure if you remember
        > it since Portland beat the Seattle - in triple/doule OT but it was
        > the basically the Blazers last hurrah in Pacific NW basketball. I
        > think Porter hit a 35 footer to send it into the second OT. I think
        > Seattle beat Portland three or four times the next season as
        > Kemp/Payton began to come of age. Don't suppose you recall that game?

        I found a contemporary description of that game, which took place on Dec 1
        1990, by John Gossman on usenet: http://shorl.com/gugoprodrafipro

        Saturday night the Sonics and Blazers played in Seattle one of the most
        exciting, wildest basketball games I have ever seen. In the end Portland
        won 130-124 to go 13-1, while the Sonics fell to a heart breaking 4-8 as
        they start out on a five game eastern road trip. They'll be tired when they
        show up in the Garden Monday night.

        Sonics led almost the entire game, usually by more than 6 but less than 12
        points. Xavier McDaniel was the main man on offense: he eventually
        finished with 41 points, 6 assists, and a handfull of rebounds and steals.
        Defense was the key though. The normally hot shooting Blazers were held to
        42% for the game, even though they shot well in the 4th period and parts of
        the overtimes. Going into the final quarter the Sonics were leading by 14
        and seemed in good position.

        In the fourth quarter the Sonics had one of their common offensive
        breakdowns, characterized by poor shooting, turnovers, and an inability to
        run a half-court offense. Portland charged back to lead by 2, then the
        teams traded the lead until the final seconds. The Sonics led 96-95 when
        Kersey drove to the basket, several players went to the floor (including
        McKey but not Kersey) and Kersey put up a layin but missed and time ran out.
        However, McKey was called for his 6th foul and Kersey went to the line to
        hit one and miss one and tie the game. The replay showed that McKey was
        nowhere near Kersey, and the only possible call was against Michael Cage
        (who had 2 fouls) and that was questionable. Anyway, considering the
        comeback, Portland deserved another shot.

        To my surprise the Sonics came out in the OT and led from buzzer to buzzer,
        by as much as six at one point. Portland came back again. Porter and
        McDaniel did most of the scoring again, and with 12 seconds left trailed by
        2. There followed a wild sequence that started with Porter driving inside,
        two blocked shots and a missed put back then a tip to the corner where it
        was saved by Sedale Threatt, back to Cage and Williams in the middle,
        tipped to courtside where it was saved by Kemp, to Kersey and McDaniel who
        fought over it and stopped the clock with a foul on X. Kersey then shoved X
        (the refs missed X's little bump on Jerome) and was called for a T, which
        Sedale sunk on the other end. Portland trailed by 3 with 2 seconds left.
        The inbounds went to Porter, who was clearly fouled by Gary Payton. The two
        scrambled for the ball just outside the 3 point line, and Porter got off a
        miracle shot, lifting the ball from the floor and up into the air as the
        buzzer sounded. It went in. The refs counted it. The replay however,
        clearly showed that the ball was still only waist high when the clock hit 0.
        No matter, 2nd OT. By the way, the Sonics top bench player, Shawn Kemp,
        fouled out in the OT.

        In the second OT the Sonics again pulled away. Gary Payton and Sedale
        Threatt provided most of the scoring, while Cage was scooping up rebounds to
        the final tune of 15. Ahead by four with 8 seconds left, Payton fouled
        Ainge on Portland's inbounds. Ainge hit the FTs and Gary was gone. Then
        Portland stole the Sonics inbound and scored an easy layup to tie again.
        Cage missed a short, off-balance jumper to win the game with .9 secs.

        Third OT. Sonics are playing three guards -- McMillan, Threatt, and
        Barros, along with X and Cage and Polynice and Dailey coming in for instant
        D and instant O. With the Sonics shot blockers (Kemp and McKey) and best
        defender (Payton) out, Porter and Drexler took it to the hoop, while the
        Sonics couldn't quite hit their shots. The Sonics were able to eek out a
        four point lead, then fell apart down the stretch to lose.

        Porter had 38 for Portland. The game was so late no box scores are out, so
        I don't know much more. Kersey had at least 19, Williams and Duckworth were
        not factors. Robinson played well, especially defensively. For the Sonics,
        Gary Payton had 8 assists and at least 12 points, including some important
        drives inside at crunch time. Threatt had a least 15, and Shawn Kemp had
        only 6 points, but 9 rebounds and a number of key blocks. Biggest difference
        was the usual (for the Sonics). Portland was 35-40, while the Sonics were
        only 19-21 from the FT line. Sonics also severely lacked from 3-point range
        (last two years they led the NBA in 3 pointers. Come back Dale all is
        forgiven :-)).

        A very, very exciting game. The Sonics could have really used this win to
        push them to 5-7 and give them some momentum going back east. Instead they
        are tired and 4-8. Dale Ellis was in street clothes, but stayed on the
        bench and was in the huddle supporting his team--a very important sign,
        considering his fight with X last week. He should be back in a couple more
        games.

        --
        ed
      • Kevin Pelton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2004
          > I know you are Sonic fan and that you read Bill Simmons . .so I
          > wanted to send him a recommendation of Portland-Seattle regular
          > season game from the early 90's for NBA TV. Not sure if you
          > remember it since Portland beat the Seattle - in triple/doule OT
          > but it was the basically the Blazers last hurrah in Pacific NW
          > basketball. I think Porter hit a 35 footer to send it into the
          > second OT. I think Seattle beat Portland three or four times the
          > next season as Kemp/Payton began to come of age. Don't suppose you
          > recall that game?

          I'm glad Ed could step in here, because that one's a little far back
          for me. I was eight then, after all.

          I wouldn't quite call it their "last hurrah", by the way; the two
          teams met in the playoffs that last year, with the Blazers pulling
          out an underrated series 3-2 thanks to the home-court advantage.

          It's more of an APBR thing, I know, but anyone else interested in
          posting their favorite Simmons picks (for those who don't read him:
          late 80s or early 90s; not on ESPN Classic regularly)?

          I would probably go with a game that is more personally meaningful
          to me than it is relevant in the grand scheme of things. It was the
          Sonics against the Suns on April 10, 1994. That happened to be my
          12th birthday, and I was at the game, which was nationally televised
          on NBC.

          With a win, the Sonics would clinch the Pacific Division, which was
          also important as a symbolic transfer of power in the Pacific and
          the West after the Suns beat the Sonics in the Western Conference
          Finals the year before.

          It was a truly wild game. The Sonics went up 40-25 after one
          quarter, but the Suns dominated periods two and three and led 89-75
          going to the fourth. Over the final 12 minutes, the Sonics outscored
          Phoenix 36-19, withstanding a late run of three-pointers, to pull
          out a 111-108 win.

          This game also featured one of the greatest dunks of Shawn Kemp's
          career; I recall his hands getting up to about the top of the sqare
          on the backboard on an alley-oop lob from Payton. Good times, good
          times. That was basically the yin to that year's playoffs' yang.
        • Gabe Farkas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
            Here's what I sent to Bill Simmons, verbatim:

            1) the playoff game where Hakeem just clobbered D-Rob
            right after Robinson won the MVP award that year. If
            it's that noteworthy on the vengeance scale, then it
            should be shown.

            2) Game 6 or Game 7 of the Knicks/Rockets finals (Game
            6 where Hakeem blocked Starks' last-second shot, and
            Game 7 where Starks couldn't find the bucket).

            3) the Bulls/Suns Finals game where Barkley went off
            for a triple-double. Also from that series, the game
            where Barkley tries to steal the ball from Pippen,
            which leads to the Suns' defense being out of position
            and Paxon hitting the nail-in-the-coffin 3-pointer.

            4) Game 5 of the Sonics/Nuggets first-round series,
            where Denver upset the Sonics and Mutumbo was on the
            ground crying tears of joy after the game.

            5) '97 All-Star Game where Glen Rice got the MVP of
            the game.

            6) Can you show all-star contests? If so, Larry's
            record-setting 3-point adventure, Brent Barry's slam
            dunk contest, Isaiah Rider's sideways-between-the-legs
            dunk contest would be awesome.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • tajallie@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
              Ed,

              Thanks. That was the game I was thinking of, only I thought it was
              the next season. I guess I should have remembered since the game came
              during Portland opening 19-1 season start. As opposed to the last
              hurrah, I should have said the beginging of the Seattle run. They had
              pretty consistent improvement from that point on and losing to what
              was to become 63 win Porland team during a 19-1 stretch in triple OT
              is not that bad.