Re: Does Spree help the offense?

  • sultanoswat@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "nickouli5" <NikoTMP@g...>
      wrote:
      > Minnesota was ranked Top 5-6 in offense this season.
      >
      > Many claim they got better on O and D because of the additions of
      > Cassell and Spree as scorers.

      Their offense got better? I thought only their defense improved. I
      wrote back in April:

      ---
      How did Minnesota improve? Thanks to 82games.com (is there anything
      they can't do?), it looks clear that they did it by upgrading their
      defense. Last year they averaged 108 pPts and their opponents 105
      pPts (pPts is points per 100 possessions). This year their offensive
      output is the same, but they shaved their points against down to 101
      pPts. Just to give you an example, this year their defense is ranked
      about 6th, while if they still had last year's production, it would
      have been about 15th.

      ...They took minutes away (by either trading or relegating to a
      smaller role) from Szczerbiak, Nesterovic, Kendall Gill, Peeler, Joe
      Smith, and Gary Trent, and gave them to Latrell Sprewell, Sam
      Cassell, Fred Hoiberg, Michael Olowokandi, and Mark Madsen. To me
      that looks like a defensive upgrade at every turn, save for
      Nesterovic.
      ---

      FWIW Minnesota was 6th in pPTS in both offense & defense last year.

      http://www.knickerblogger.net/2004/04/2003-2004-team-rankings.htm