Re: New poll for APBR_analysis

  • mrintp2000
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 21 4:09 PM
      Good points, I was going to run the correlation on just the starter
      P-diffs, but it would've been pointless with all the trades and lineup
      changes. One thing's for sure, coaches are not playing the right guys
      the right number of minutes, which IMO is their primary function.

      As for Atlanta, Sura was still with Detroit when they had Reef. But it
      does seem that they should have been better.

      In terms of Boozer vs. Martin, Martin may be hurt by being forced to
      play out of position at the 3 if Denver goes big. Another thing the
      P-diff clearly shows is that most guys aren't equally effective at 2
      positions. He may think he's a great defender but he's not going to do
      too well chasing 3's around screens and such. Not to mention, the lane
      will be pretty clogged up by Nene and Camby, so he'll have a hard time
      driving.

      Due to his age, I expect Boozer to improve. Man, I love the Jazz lineup...

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, tajallie@h... wrote:
      > I actually think this is a pretty interesting test for translation of
      > stats into real world predicative behavior and possibly an
      > interesting case study for the PER Dif transferbility. They both had
      > very high Per Difs and relatively comparabe stats on per 48 minutes
      > basis despite the fact that Boozer and Martin seem to have very
      > different basketball skills / ways of achieving those ends.
      >
      > Setting aside the age question (4 years) and recognizing you can't
      > control for coaches (I think it pretty clear Sloan is the superior
      > coach) . . .it would be worth revisiting these two players at the end
      > of 2005 to see if the "obvious" answer appears to have played out
      > that way.
      >
      > I also wonder how Atlanta could have been such a bad team with Reef
      > (+7.8), Jackson (+1.5) Theo (+1.3), Terry (-.2) and Sura(+3.3) as
      > thier starting line-up - particulary when you consider Theo chugged
      > out a +6.4 for Portland and his back-up was +2.6 (Nazr). Atlanta
      > would have totaled +13.7 with that line-up compared to +15.5 for KG,
      > Spree, Cassell, Johnson and Hassell. I know depth is important but
      > starters PER Dif should be the most important part of the PER Dif.
    • mrintp2000
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 21 4:09 PM