assists

  • nik
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 26, 2004
      They're usually a lot less.
      With an average of 5 assists or so, you're the
      passing king.

      I think it's both about pace and style of the game
      and they way they're counted.

    • Ludovic LE MOAL
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 26, 2004
        Hi,

        On Friday, June 25, 2004 at 6:22:08 PM, Gabe Farkas wrote:

        > what does it mean to have "european assists" versus
        > regular assists?

        > are they usually more or less?

        By far less ! It's only when the scorer score in the paint without
        dribling and nobody in front of him. I'm not sure of this definition
        bit's something like that. it's about the same as in Spain where
        there's only one guy in the season who made more than 10 assists !
        --
        Ludovic LE MOAL
        <http://www.lemoal.org/>
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2004
          I just joined the discussion...in terms of what I would want to know about potential draftees:
          First, it is possible to measure shot quickness with reasonable reliability. A colleague has a good system for static shots (ball picked from a chair in a standrard chair to chair drill) and we are working on a method of developing a product to measure shot quickness off the catch.
          However, just by eyeballing whether the player must dip the ball or not is the key.

          That being said, I think shot quickness is overrated as a skill in the NBA. Watch how many outside shots are actually hurried. Many come off double teams where shooters catch and are already squared to the basket. They have lazy habits but hav time to dip the ball.

          Only teams that shoot a lot of shots off screens need uick release shooters, teams like the Pistons (Hamilton) and Kings use a lot of jump shots off screens. Other teams rely primarily on spot-up shooters for their outside shooting and someone else, a post player or a dribble penetration wing/guard sets up the shot. Players like Bruce Bowen are an example of this.

          The hardest attribute to measure and teach is decision-making. Assist to tunover ratio does not tell the story because both stats have too many variables. One, assists are handed out to easily and thus are not distinguished: did the player actually create the open shot or did he merely pass the ball to an unguarded player? In the stat sheet, it's the same, but in reality, the first is a far more valuable skill. Also, assists depend upon players actually making shots: the Kings have guys who get a lot of assists because they make a lot of shots. I would argue they have players who make a lot of shots because of the quality of the passes, but, again, that is something that is unproven.

          A charge call is a different turnover than atraveling violation which is different than a bad pass on a 2 v 1 fast break. I could make a great pass to a guy who should be making a backdoor cut, but he could stop his cut and I get a turnover. That's diffrent than if I throw the ball right to the defender on a 2 v 1 break.

          I want to know the players mental make-up, his work ethic, what instant millioaire status will do to his desire and drive. I'd take a loss talanted player who refuses to allow his team to lose over another plyer who exhibits less passion, which is why I'd take Kobe over TMac and why jameer nelson will be the biggest value pick in the draft because he has what people cannot measure. with the high school kids especially, it is hard to know whether they have IT or not.

          when i was a college recruiter, i always wanted to recruit kids from winning high school programs. i just believe in it.

          High Five Hoop School

          --- Gabe Farkas <gabefark@...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > > making your shot and although we already test
          > for
          > > > athleticism . .this
          > > > is one I have never seem tested for but it
          > > certainly
          > > > matters. Along
          > > > the same lines - what hieght do they shoot from.
          > > > Jumping high and
          > > > jumping high and shooting are to different
          > things.
          > > >
          > > > 4)Performance under pounding - toughness. The
          > NBA
          > > is
          > > > alot rougher and
          > > > shooting, dribbling, fighting over picks, taking
          > > > charge. I don't
          > > > want anyone who is thrown off by phsyical
          > contact
          > > or
          > > > isn't willing to
          > > > fix it.
          > > >
          > > > 5) I would also like something to test the work

        • Jose
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 27, 2004
            With FIBA rules it is much more difficult to obtain an assist.
            In NBA for example, a player can receive a ball in the low post,
            pivot, bounce the ball and make a lay-up, and the player who gave
            him the ball will receive an assist.
            In Europe it is quite different. If you put the ball on the floor
            the assist is annulled, so they only count the baskets made
            immediately after receiving the ball, either inside or outside
            shots.
            In order to compare the assists a simple formula can be used:
            In NBA on 60% of the baskets are preceded from an assist, whereas in
            Europe the number is around 40%. In addition if we compared assists
            by game, we would have to fit the minutes (48 in NBA and 40 in
            Europe).

            With this formula, the 3.3 assists of Spanoulis ' would be' 6 with
            NBA rules.

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Ludovic LE MOAL
            <ludovic.lemoal@f...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > On Friday, June 25, 2004 at 6:22:08 PM, Gabe Farkas wrote:
            >
            > > what does it mean to have "european assists" versus
            > > regular assists?
            >
            > > are they usually more or less?
            >
            > By far less ! It's only when the scorer score in the paint without
            > dribling and nobody in front of him. I'm not sure of this
            definition
            > bit's something like that. it's about the same as in Spain where
            > there's only one guy in the season who made more than 10 assists !
            > --
            > Ludovic LE MOAL
            > <http://www.lemoal.org/>
          • Ludovic LE MOAL
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 27, 2004
              Hi,

              On Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 10:47:14 AM, Jose wrote:

              > With FIBA rules it is much more difficult to obtain an assist.

              It's not a matter of FIBA rules : in France, we count the assist as
              the same as in NBA.
              --
              Ludovic LE MOAL
              <http://www.lemoal.org/>
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 27, 2004
                Just like for NBA players I'd like to have a PER and an adjusted
                plus/minus.

                I'd also like to know their MBTI personality type. Their is some
                interesting info regarding personality type and athletic performance
                braintypes.com

                And I'd also like to check their growth plates to see if they were
                still growing (if relevant).

                With all that info, drafting would still be a crapshoot:(

                Unless I'm picking Lebron I'd trade all my picks for undervalued NBA
                players who have proven they can play. No way I want to give a
                guaranteed contract to an unproven NBA commodity.

                -shawn

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 27, 2004
                  Don't they test for MBTI personality already? Football teams give a high priority to personality tests and other such tests. I assumed basketball teams did the same.

                  I don't know if I'd trade all my picks. There are some great nuggets out there. And, I think drafting a young european who can stay in europe and develop for a year or two is a smart move; another reason why the nab should have a REAL minor league system where a second round pick like trevor ariza could play and develop instead of either bring cut or languishing on the bench or IR all year.

                  Players like Peja Stojakovic, Darius Songalia, Manu Ginobili and others have benefited from extra development in europe and benefitted their drafting team, while some other players like udonis haslem went overseas to develop and ended up being a productive player, though not for the drafting team.

                  in this way, it is beneficial to draft an european player over an american player late in the first round or in the second round because most 2nd round picks will simply be cut, but if it is a euro player, like an anderson vareajo, the team can leave him in europe, let him get better and then sign him to a contract in a year or two or trade his rights to pick up a different player or draft picks.

                  mrintp2000 <shzys@...> wrote:
                  Just like for NBA players I'd like to have a PER and an adjusted
                  plus/minus.

                  I'd also like to know their MBTI personality type. Their is some
                  interesting info regarding personality type and athletic performance
                  braintypes.com

                  And I'd also like to check their growth plates to see if they were
                  still growing (if relevant).

                  With all that info, drafting would still be a crapshoot:(

                  Unless I'm picking Lebron I'd trade all my picks for undervalued NBA
                  players who have proven they can play. No way I want to give a
                  guaranteed contract to an unproven NBA commodity.

                  -shawn

                  In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:

                  > I've asked this question of a few people in the NBA and not gotten the
                  > kind of answer I'd like.  Maybe it's the way I ask it.  I dunno.
                  >
                  > If you could ask for more information to evaluate potential draftees,
                  > what would it be?  Anything you can think of, measurements, more
                  > practice games against other draftees, intelligence tests, references
                  > from their fingerpainting teachers, the genetic makeup of their
                  > parents -- use your imagination!
                  >
                  > Today's coverage showed the kids' favorite classes in school and I
                  > just gotta think that is not what would help.
                  >
                  > In particular, if you can think about guys you were wrong on, either
                  > that they were better than you thought or worse than you thought --
                  > what else would you have liked to know?
                  >
                  > DeanO
                  >
                  > Dean Oliver
                  > Author, Basketball on Paper
                  > http://www.basketballonpaper.com
                  > "Basketball on Paper is a revolutionary strike for statistical
                  > analysis of the game of basketball..."  Hoopsworld.com's Kevin Pelton

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Gabe Farkas
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 29, 2004
                    that's really interesting.

                    can you tell me how many assists/game the assist champ
                    usually has each year? maybe 5 or 6?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 30, 2004
                      Hi,

                      On Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at 5:18:51 AM, Gabe Farkas wrote:

                      > can you tell me how many assists/game the assist champ
                      > usually has each year? maybe 5 or 6?

                      In France, in Spain, in Italy, in Euroleague ?
                      - Italy : Leonardo Busca (Messina) 4,88 assists per game (APG).
                      - Spain : Elmer Bennett (Real Madrid) 6,06 APG.
                      - Turkey : Kahlid El-Amin (Besiktas) 6.26 APG.
                      - Greece : Damir Mulaomerovic (PAOK) 6,84 APG.
                      - Germany : Michael Jordan (Artland) 6,85 APG.
                      - France : Laurent Sciarra (Paris Basket Racing) 9,83 APG.
                      --
                      Ludovic LE MOAL
                      <http://www.lemoal.org/>