Re: Today's special: Crow

  • nickouli5
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2004
      So does this mean that basically any sort of offensive foul really
      isn't an offensive foul unless the player purposely runs into a guy
      whos been set for at least a second? What about a lot of times when
      you have a Kobe Bryant who does a quick pump fake then 'purposely'
      rams into the defender to get the foul call? It may help scoring,
      but why is that 'not an offensive foul'? Sure he gets his man to
      jump, but why should he be allowed to purposely throw his body "INTO"
      the defender?

      There seems to be two types of flops, one where you have Derek Fisher
      purposely run to a spot he knows the offender is going to go, wait
      there and absorb the contact (really obvious but he always gets this
      call).

      Or you have the type where a defender uses his feet and positioning
      to outquick the offensive player to one spot while guarding him one
      on one, then just letting the offensive player run into him. I don't
      mind this as much for some reason, if you can get the player to
      overall penetrate and run into you by using quick feet than I don't
      see as a problem (not many players do this anyway). If the player
      isn't quick enough then it will be a defensive foul everytime.

      Personally the Derek Fisher one annoys me even more cause he doesn't
      even use quickness to draw the foul, its just an obvious 1-2
      second 'wait' for the offensive player to run into him while he waits
      in the crack of the defense.

      Question: Aren't the refs the ones who can just stop all the
      physical play by calling more fouls? Why all this complaining about
      low scoring games when the refs can simple start calling more fouls,
      thus changing how players play? Flops or no flops -- can't they stop
      the overly physical play by simply blowing their whistles?