Re: Let's discuss Brendan Haywood...

  • wizardskev
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 17, 2004
      I may not have been clear in my initial post. The issue with Haywood's
      work habits wasn't an unwillingness to work. He put the time in. The
      problem was that he worked "wrong".

      For example, when he was practicing a basic drop step move, he'd do it
      over and over and over. But, he'd lean back when receiving the pass
      instead of coming to meet the ball. He'd shuffle his feet before
      making the pivot or before bouncing the ball. He'd make a weak
      one-handed dribble instead of a power dribble. He'd lay the ball in
      instead of dunking it. That kind of thing.

      There are other examples too. He'd put the time into practicing the
      moves, but there was no focus on fundamentals, no emphasis on doing it
      right. And he'd screw up in games.

      Ultimately, that's his responsibility; and I was surprised to see such
      sloppy work habits from a Carolina player. Still, virtually every time
      I saw him working, it was with Ewing. Through most of those sessions,
      Ewing barely said a word. It was surprising on a couple levels --
      first, I'd always had active coaches who constantly taught when they
      ran drills; and second, I would have expected Ewing -- a John Thompson
      pupil -- to run a disciplined and precise workout.

      Your point about the Bullets/Wizards not being able to make use of its
      talent is accurate. The Pistons started three former Bullets/Wizards
      -- Hamilton, Ben Wallace and Rasheed. In one sense, it made it easier
      for me to root for them. In another, it was heartbreaking. :(

      > That's a fascinating inside glimpse into the inner workings of a
      team. Probably
      > a lot of that stuff has contributed to the Bullets' continued
      stagnation. Although
      > there are also alternative explanations: e.g. with Haywood's post
      play, is
      > Hubbard a superior coach/teacher, or is it simply a matter of
      Haywood gaining
      > some maturity and realizing that he needed to work to improve his game?
      > Was the non-teaching, arrogant attitude of MJ and Collins a cause of
      the Bullets'
      > lack of wins and lack of improvement, or was it lack of
      coaching/leadership skills
      > period, separate from the abrasiveness issues (some coaches have
      been abrasive
      > but nonetheless successful). Or a lack of player talent for that
      matter, although
      > there have been several examples suggesting that the Bullets have
      had some
      > decent talent, but have been unable to exploit it (both of the
      Detroit Wallaces
      > are former Bullets/Wizards, also there's Chris Webber, and going the
      opposite
      > direction Mitch Richmond who didn't seem to play as well in
      Washington as