Re: Finals Stats after 3 games

  • jim@basketballmetrics
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 15, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Pelton"
      <kpelton08@h...> wrote:

      > I can see your argument here. You're looking at more of a skill-
      > based kind of rating, it would seem, while the Mikes are more
      > concerned with looking back and divvying up credit for what
      happened
      > on the court amongst individuals. Both are valid ways of looking
      at
      > things. Would it make sense to list two ratings?

      I would definately consider listing different ratings. Eventually, I
      plan on printing individual player pages with expanded stats and
      that seems like a good place to list different versions of FG%.

      > (I think the same thing, for the record, about your created field
      > goal percentage ... while the metric with all shooting attempts is
      > interesting and revealing, I think only counting some proportion
      > of "created" attempts would be more valuable.)

      I've actually been fiddling around with the formula for created FG%
      with that idea in mind. I'll let y'all know when I come up with
      something worth mentioning.

      > On the issue of technical fouls ... I think there should be some
      > credit given to players who are superb free-throw shooters, as
      this
      > is a skill that's helping their team. In the first _Pro Basketball
      > Prospectus_, JohnH suggests crediting them for making greater than
      > league average (75%) at the line.

      I agree... Good FT% has a positive effect on team/individual offense
      in many ways and there should be a way a reflecting that.