Effect of Rest

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2001
      Has anyone looked at the effect of playing games with certain amount
      of rest?

      At the request of someone I work with, I did a quick check tonight.
      This is what I found:

      Looking only at this year in the NBA (I will do a bigger study
      later), I am finding the following effect of rest on offense and
      defense:

      Days between games
      1 2 3 >=4
      Offensive Rtg. 99.8 100.6 101.6 99.4
      Floor % 0.468 0.471 0.478 0.468
      Defensive Rtg. 102.2 100.4 100.4 100.0
      (1 day between games is 0 days rest.)

      Definitely seem to be seeing the expected effect, where no rest
      causes worse offense and defense. 2 days rest is slightly better
      than 1 day, though it is somewhat surprisingly most obvious in the
      offense. More than 2 days rest is really a tough analysis, primarily
      because there are many bench players clouding the info. In other
      words, your 10th man may not play more than once every four games and
      his bad numbers end up in the analysis. I could work to separate it
      out, but haven't yet. I wanted to make sure that the gross numbers
      meet expectations.

      Interestingly the difference between 1 day and 2 or 3 is not
      significant statistically -- for the offense. It is significant for
      the defense.

      www.tsoft.com/~deano/index.html
      deano@...
    • harlanzo@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2001
        Did you look at the effect of rest in terms of age as well? I
        remember that there was talk that the last couple of years Ewing was
        much more effective in the first game of back to backs (as one would
        expect). Still, it might be interesting to see exactly how
        heightened the rest factor is based on age.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2001
          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., harlanzo@y... wrote:
          > Did you look at the effect of rest in terms of age as well? I
          > remember that there was talk that the last couple of years Ewing was
          > much more effective in the first game of back to backs (as one would
          > expect). Still, it might be interesting to see exactly how
          > heightened the rest factor is based on age.

          Good question. I will attempt to look at it, but my personnel db has
          limited info on birthdates. For what I have, I will give it a shot.