John Hollingers article on the myth of players making other players better?

  • mrintp2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2004
      I need it for an argument I'm having on the subject. Does anyone
      have a link to it? thanks

      Shawn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "mrintp2000" <shzys@n...>
        wrote:
        > I need it for an argument I'm having on the subject. Does anyone
        > have a link to it? thanks

        I'm curious, what's your take on this subject?

        While it's always good to debunk a myth, you might be barking up the
        wrong tree if that's your goal here.

        Every pair of players has a positive or negative "chemistry": they
        complement or detract from one another. Surely there are players
        that have predominantly negative effects on their teammates; and
        positive influence is just as certainly likely.

        Several studies have passed thru here (the Oscar Effect, the Jordan
        Effect, the Kidd effect) that suggest all these players had more
        positive than negative influence on their teammates. Check the
        archives.
      • mrintp2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
          ---cool, I'll do some homework

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2004
            It's in the first prospectus in the Nets section. By this point I'm
            not even sure I have a link to it. Basically it looked at PER changes
            in Kidds' teammates before and after, and a few others -- Jordan and
            Stockton, for example. Conclusion: No discernible effect.