Turnovers

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2004
      Watching the Kandi-man turn over the ball in the backcourt the other
      day, I started to wonder if turnover stats could be misleading bcs
      all turnovers are not created equal.

      Has anyone looked at the individual player turnovers that result in
      opposing team pts / fouls? Kobe turning the ball over driving to the
      basket doesn't hurt as much as an errant pass at the top of the key.

      Also it seems like there is a difference between forced and unforced
      turnovers. While tough defense might cause turnover for some players,
      just bobbling the ball out of bounds is a much more player specific
      result. Since we don't have good defensive stats, turnover rates
      could be broken out to get a better indication of ball-handling
      skills. Has anyone looked at this?