Re: Detroit vs. LA

    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 4, 2004
      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John Hollinger"
      > <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
      > > I think Lakers in five. One thing that sticks out to me is that
      the
      > > matchups for Detroit are absolutely terrible. They can't put Ben
      > > Wallace on Shaq or he'll foul out in 20 minutes,

      Don't 2-time Defensive Player of Year's get some respect? Will they
      let Shaq bull him over?

      > Detroit's big men especially have quick hands...

      Artest is no Kobe, but Prince's size and quickness kept him from,
      respectively, shooting AND driving.

      > I honestly don't know what Larry Brown is going to do to increase
      his
      > odds, but I know that if he works the officials the right way or
      even
      > not the wrong way, if he gives up none of the easy stuff to LA off
      bad
      > turnovers, which is very doable (please Rasheed, don't lose your
      > focus), he can win this series in 5 before going back to LA.

      We've now heard everything from Lakers in 5, to Pistons in 5 !

      > The
      > defense is that good -- a couple numbers are pretty ridiculous,
      > suggesting that it is practically impossible to hurt them on the
      > offensive glass, something I've never seen (and don't quite
      believe).

      One (bad) shot and you're out. That's how it was with the Pacers.

      > And the Lakers are very beatable this year with Shaq definitely
      down
      > a bit from years past (for FTs and other reasons). Looking at even
      > the Lakers' nice playoff performance, I see holes left and right
      that
      > can be taken advantage of.

      Most comments seem to focus on the Lakers' Big Two, and how the
      Pistons have no answer. But even they have their weaknesses. Kobe
      trying to do to much. Shaq needing the ball at just the right time,
      and missing so many FT.

      The Lakers Do Not Win without serious contributions from role
      players. Rush. Fisher.

      Malone and Payton will certainly have something to say about it.
      But they have been subdued for the most part.

      Detroit has 2 explosive guards, the Lakers only 1. Even if Malone
      neutralizes Rasheed, look for Ben to slow Shaq significantly, Prince
      to frustrate Kobe -- who will also have his hands full with
      Hamilton -- and Billups to dominate whomever.

      And watch out for Mehmet.
    • mrintp2000
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 9, 2004
        --- If having the best player in the regular season is no guarantee,
        I'm not sure what else you can do as a GM. That's why they play the
        games.