RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Let's discuss scouting (How would you do a better job?) (long)

  • Daniel Dickey
    Message 1 of 55 , Jun 2 8:41 PM
      >From: "John Hollinger" <alleyoop2@...>
      >To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Let's discuss scouting (How would you do a
      >better job?) (long)
      >Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 02:26:20 -0000

      >One other thing: High assist guys almost never succeed as pros. The
      >reason is that to be good enough to be in the NBA, you almost have to
      >be the best player on your college team. And if you're the best
      >player, you're probably leading the team in points rather than
      >assists.

      I assume you mean high assist, lower scoring guys. Pretty much all top
      tier PGs were high assist guys in college - but very few were mediocre
      scorers in college (Kidd comes to mind though).

      Of course, anyone getting over 5 assists in a modern college game is a high
      assist guy in my book.

      Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
      House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 3 5:07 AM
        --- <danthestatman@h...> wrote:

        > >From: "John Hollinger" <alleyoop2@y...>
        > >One other thing: High assist guys almost never succeed as pros.
        The
        > >reason is that to be good enough to be in the NBA, you almost
        have to
        > >be the best player on your college team. And if you're the best
        > >player, you're probably leading the team in points rather than
        > >assists.
        > >
        > I assume you mean high assist, lower scoring guys. Pretty
        much all top
        > tier PGs were high assist guys in college - but very few were
        mediocre
        > scorers in college ...

        Take it further and just state that the vast majority of college
        stars do not succeed at the NBA level -- be they assist guys,
        scorers, or whatever.

        Is the best player on a bad team more likely to succeed in the NBA
        than the sidekick on a championship team? I doubt it.

        Bobby Hurley was often likened to Bob Cousy. I imagined we might
        find out how Cousy would do in the '90s NBA. Did we ?