Re: Let's discuss scouting (How would you do a better job?) (long)

    Message 1 of 55 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hurley's stats were solid in college (mainly his assists and
      > three point shooting) - but his lower scoring average and ok
      defensive
      > statistics didn't foretell a great pro future. I predicted him
      personally
      > to be a major bust.

      Hurley's jump shot spun sideways, kind of like Tim Hardaway's but
      worse, and he never fixed that. It amazed me that his 3-point shots
      ever went in and didn't surprise me that it was an issue as a pro.

      One other thing: High assist guys almost never succeed as pros. The
      reason is that to be good enough to be in the NBA, you almost have to
      be the best player on your college team. And if you're the best
      player, you're probably leading the team in points rather than
      assists.
      Message 55 of 55 , Jun 3, 2004
        --- <danthestatman@h...> wrote:

        > >From: "John Hollinger" <alleyoop2@y...>
        > >One other thing: High assist guys almost never succeed as pros.
        The
        > >reason is that to be good enough to be in the NBA, you almost
        have to
        > >be the best player on your college team. And if you're the best
        > >player, you're probably leading the team in points rather than
        > >assists.
        > >
        > I assume you mean high assist, lower scoring guys. Pretty
        much all top
        > tier PGs were high assist guys in college - but very few were
        mediocre
        > scorers in college ...

        Take it further and just state that the vast majority of college
        stars do not succeed at the NBA level -- be they assist guys,
        scorers, or whatever.

        Is the best player on a bad team more likely to succeed in the NBA
        than the sidekick on a championship team? I doubt it.

        Bobby Hurley was often likened to Bob Cousy. I imagined we might
        find out how Cousy would do in the '90s NBA. Did we ?