Off Reb Stats

  • tajallie@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2004
      82Games.com has some pretty interesting stats on offensive rebounds
      collected by players that could provide some adjustment to player
      specific values of missed shots (PER EFG%?). Due to a single season
      sample ( as Roland mentions), however, I am not sure if the stats are
      reflective of the other rebounders on the floor or the player taking
      the shot.

      I did a little manipulation of the data to look at the data in
      different ways and found that Houston was 45% more likely to rebound
      a shot taken by Francis and 38% more likely to rebound a shot taken
      by Jackson compared to the team as whole (Ostertag's shots were
      rebounded an astounding 54% greater than the team average, the
      highest among all players who missed at least 220 shots). Houston was
      one of the worst rebounding teams on the league (24.5% of missed
      shots, yet greater than 1/3 of both Francis and Jackson ended up as
      second chance opps.

      Here is how the top 20 turned out for greatest increase probabality
      of offensive rebounds:

      UTA  Ostertag 54.3%
      NYK  Anderson 45.3%
      HOU  Francis 44.9%
      MIA  Alston 41.6%
      PHI  McKie 41.4%
      NJN  Collins 40.8%
      DET  Prince 39.7%
      HOU  Jackson 38.4%
      MIA  Odom 37.7%
      PHO  Johnson 36.6%
      DEN  Miller 36.5%
      ORL  Bogans 35.6%
      SEA  Allen 35.3%
      CLE  James 35.0%
      NOH  Mashburn 34.9%
      NYK  Hardaway 34.2%
      NYK  Marbury 34.2%
      MIA  Wade 34.2%
      LAL  Fisher 34.1%
      SAC  Christie 34.1%

      Clearly a big part of the effect is reflecting that the big offensive
      rebounders hang out around the bucket bcs Blount, Nene, Grant and
      Magloire turn up at the bottom of the list (and strangly Parker and
      Bibby as well)

      PPS It should be noted that data may overstate the impact since
      82games adjusts for non-opp rebounds (i.e end of quarter heaves),
      while my total off reb to missed FG does not), although the relative
      relationship should remain constant.

      -Brendan-